Page 82 of 88 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's cricket

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    He deserves it for his cricketing achievements. It always seemed strange to me that he hadn't got it at the end of his career - his stats are astonishing. I can only think it's because he's so disagreeable and outspoken.
    The reason he didn't receive it earlier is probably because he was convicted in a French court in 1998 of hitting his girlfriend. There has been some criticism today about the award of his knighthood because of this.

However Boycott has always maintained his innocence and an investigation by the Telegraph a few years ago suggested he might have been wrongly convicted.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...buse-case.html

He deserves it for his cricketing achievements. It always seemed strange to me that he hadn't got it at the end of his career - his stats are astonishing. I can only think it's because he's so disagreeable and outspoken.
    And white and male.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    And white and male.
    Are non-white people and/or women disproportionately given knighthoods? I wasn't aware of such a trend.

And MR: I was aware of the conviction, but this came a while after he had retired. I'm just looking back at his career on Wikipedia to see when would have been a good time to do it, but I note in the same year that he became England's leading run scorer, he was also involved in organising the rebel SA tour, so perhaps this also went against him. He also kept playing until he was about a hundred, whereas sometimes sportspeople are acknowledged when they retire.

And MR: I was aware of the conviction, but this came a while after he had retired. I'm just looking back at his career on Wikipedia to see when would have been a good time to do it, but I note in the same year that he became England's leading run scorer, he was also involved in organising the rebel SA tour, so perhaps this also went against him. He also kept playing until he was about a hundred, whereas sometimes sportspeople are acknowledged when they retire.
    You could be right that it's something to do with the rebel tour but I still think the conviction is the more likely explanation. It's not unusual for sportspeople to get their awards a fair while after their playing careers have finished. Botham retired from first class cricket in 1993 but didn't get his knighthood until 2007.

Boycott's knighthood owes a lot to Theresa May's interest in cricket and her admiration for Boycott in particular. The last cricket nut PM was John Major. His honours list will have been in 1997. I suspect Boycott would have been on that list if it hadn't been for the investigation into the alleged assault at the time.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 10-09-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Also, Boycott sometimes comes over as a "professional Yorkshireman", which won't go down well in some quarters.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

[QUOTE=Muddy Retriever;654083]It's not unusual for sportspeople to get their awards a fair while after their playing careers have finished. /QUOTE]

Mmmh. But then Wiggins got his before he had warmed down from winning one Tour - propped up by Froome* - and never did another one, and poor Froome who has won four of the things...?

* The Official Encyclopaedia of the Yellow Jersey (L'Equipe) by Bouvet and Galametz suggests (page 47) that in 2012 Froome was "perhaps already riding faster than his team leader" (Wiggins). And perhaps "perhaps" is in there to avoid an accusation of libel.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 10-09-2019 at 07:21 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Didn't know you were a Froomie fan Graham?

Sir Geoffrey Boycott on top form today.

He's ruffled a few snowflake feathers with "I don't give a toss about her,love"

More evidence of why his Knighthood took so long.

Love it.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    You could be right that it's something to do with the rebel tour but I still think the conviction is the more likely explanation. It's not unusual for sportspeople to get their awards a fair while after their playing careers have finished. Botham retired from first class cricket in 1993 but didn't get his knighthood until 2007.

Boycott's knighthood owes a lot to Theresa May's interest in cricket and her admiration for Boycott in particular. The last cricket nut PM was John Major. His honours list will have been in 1997. I suspect Boycott would have been on that list if it hadn't been for the investigation into the alleged assault at the time.
    Wasn't Botham's as much for his charity fundraising as for his cricket?

Sad news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/50655612

Hadn't realised he was ill as he was still part of Sky's coverage this summer. Will always be remembered (along with Botham) for Headingley 81.