Page 11 of 235 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Thanks wold ranger for the mmo file. There are a few sections where there did not seem to be an obvious route. The mmo route clarifies it. Is the route off Whernside flagged or can you take any route to Yordas?
    Martin

I believe Woldrangers map is mostly correct but it is the old route, after Middletongue the route goes to Hells Gap SD 934 824 and then continues down the track(Gilbert Lane) to Cray checkpoint.

If you think it will be dark when you get here then recce this bit!!

They usually put a stile up for the day to cross the wall but last year it wasn't there. The route off Whernside wasn't flagged but LOTS of runners went wrong here last year so it may have been Watch for the little kink in the wall 724 790 and cross there even if the stile hasn't appeared.

You do need to pass through a marked gate at 714 791

Hope this helps

Ian

be recceing this bit this weekend if you fancy it? Probably cray to edge of fleet moss and back?

Be on Sat as doing the Ilkley Moor fell race on Sun

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Martin

I believe Woldrangers map is mostly correct but it is the old route, after Middletongue the route goes to Hells Gap SD 934 824 and then continues down the track(Gilbert Lane) to Cray checkpoint.

If you think it will be dark when you get here then recce this bit!!

They usually put a stile up for the day to cross the wall but last year it wasn't there. The route off Whernside wasn't flagged but LOTS of runners went wrong here last year so it may have been Watch for the little kink in the wall 724 790 and cross there even if the stile hasn't appeared.

Hope this helps

Ian
    Thanks Ian for the extra information. Is Hell Gap 941 807? Also is the gate at 714 791 a definite "you must pass through here". A group of us did this section last Saturday and we split into two groups. I took a similar route as Woldrangers mmo and another group too a more direct line off Whernside and the other route was considerably quicker with no walls to climb.

AJF, unfortunately I have something else on Saturday, otherwise I would have like to recce that section.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Martin

Hope this helps

Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Thanks Ian for the extra information. Is Hell Gap 941 807? Also is the gate at 714 791 a definite "you must pass through here". A group of us did this section last Saturday and we split into two groups. I took a similar route as Woldrangers mmo and another group too a more direct line off Whernside and the other route was considerably quicker with no walls to climb.
    Martin Hell Gap is a CP at the above GRef I posted earlier. it got it's name from the HG you mention but is about a mile further North, where the track comes out of the limestone pavement on the map.
    From memory folllow the fence line from Middle Tongue until South Grain Tarn and keep on a similar bearing, if it's clear and dark you should find it easy as it has beacons on it which you will pick up as soon as you clear the first rise. now if its foggy it might get ....

The gate is a compulsary route laid down in the race rules.

Ian

Sorry to stick my oar in, but Hell Gap is no longer correct, even though it's still described as such by the organisers. It is now Stake Moss. Grid ref 934824 is spot on. I have it plotted on Tracklogs.

Question Hydration - pack or bottle?

Normally run mountain marathons with a 500 ml bottle and powder and fill up as I pass water. Some LDC water can be sarce and have had to use hydration packs in the past.

Fellsman - hydration packs or bottle it on the run??

Thanks

bottle as there are enough check points where you can fill up. why carry the extra weight of the hydration pack?
    If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

Re: Hydration - pack or bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    ......and fill up as I pass water.
    Now that conjures up an image - I know the fellsman's tough but drinking your own would be sadistic!!

But seriously.....I prefer bottles - one on the shoulder strap and a half filled one in reserve in the pack pocket.

The problem with bladders is that you don't know how much you have left, you end up carrying loads of extra weight and they're a pain to fill (I always use one on the bike though).

Thanks lads, much appreciated - prefer bottle system myself when I can.

Thumbs up Re: Fellsman

I used a bladder last year but probably only refilled it a couple of times as the roadside checkpoints have good supplies of water and juice I only filled it with about a litre to get me across the long sections between roadside CPs.