Page 111 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 2345

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman

In the past, I've tried to get three biggish days out in, int the run-up to the Fellsman, thaen take it easy the week beforehand. As a guide, if I can do stuff like the three peaks and not feel it the day after, I think I'm doing ok.
    Very scientific I know, but...!

Quote Originally Posted by Steampig View Post
    As previously posted on this thread, myself and a colleague are planning to do the Fellsman in 2012. I have a question relating to our preparation for the event.
    We have the following events lined up as preparation: The Hebden, Hobble and Calderdale Hike, in addition normal weekly runs and hopefully at least a couple of reccy's. Does anyone have a view on us doing the Calderdale two weeks before the Fellsman? This year I did the London Marathon 2 weeks before the 3P's and was flying in the 3P's, however i am concious that the Fellsman and the Calderdale are a completely different type of event to the one's just mentioned.

Views and opinions gratefully received...........
    I did the Hebden, Wadsworth Trog and the Haworth Hobble (this was my longest run) before doing the Fellsman and I was absolutely fine. If you keep knocking the long runs off, say one a month plus your mid week running you'll be fine. I think I rested for the whole week before if I can remember rightly and yes take it easy from the off, it's a long way. We grouped at Fleetmoss as it was just after 7.30 but unfortunately we ended with 3 people who had never done it before! Then we picked up 2 more people at Cray who were good navigators which helped a great deal. Get the long runs in and just take the event as it comes, it's great fun.

Long runs yes but I'm not so sure about long races. Or if you do race, do it in a much less nutty way than me. The first time I did the fellsman I well and truly turned my ankle at the Edale Skyline in March (although I managed to finish that) and then did the same ankle again at the 3 peaks in April and had to retire coming off of Pen y Ghent. I ended up running the fellsman in May with a far from healed crocked ankle and, although I finished, it wasn't pretty

My yard stick for last years Fellsman was the Y3P's. Get it done feeling good with no problems and your on target. Worked for me :thumbup:

Don't try it in 2012 though: they're on the same day!
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

It's going to be pretty busy up on Ingleborough and Whernside at about 11ish, innit?!

If any 3 Peakers follow runners heading right instead of left off Whernside, they're in for a nasty shock....!
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    If any 3 Peakers follow runners heading right instead of left off Whernside, they're in for a nasty shock....!
    at least they wont get timed out at Hill Inn if they do!!
    pretty strange planning though as I was planning to both this year so 3P's it will be and no fellsmans again. Surely the groups that look after the 3 peaks paths etc cant be too happy about these clashes
    would have liked to have the anniversary waltz agaib but that has also moved too close to the 3 peaks

Is the 2012 Fellsman a UTMB 3 pointer ?

Since the Fellsman starts at 0900 (from Ingleton) and the 3ps an hour later I doubt that there'll be any mix up on Ingleborough. Wherneside on the other hand ...

I'd say that the paths used by both events are reasonably well maintained and are probably the most sustainable of those on the 3ps route.

There's a limit of 1000 on the 3ps but this is only something like three days' of walkers doing the route so although it's a big field and there's an obvious path once the race has been through it soon recovers especially since the most sensitive part (the direct route up Wherneside) is closed for the rest of the year.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back