Page 2 of 235 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellsman

Re: Fellsman

Ian, I have not checked for this year as I'm not doing it - going for the TCT instead, but it was correct the couple of years before - they have moved it back up the track (well I think did so 2 years ago) to stop people going over protected ground I think - so yes a couple of years ago it did make it longer and its been the same since

enjoy

that should be OCT - always check before you post..

Quote Originally Posted by LazySod View Post
    Just had a look at the LDWA site, and the tip there is to get to Fleet Moss before the grouping point.

As for target - my real target is to finish without crying, but I'll probably need a bit of a time target to keep me moving in the second half. From past experience I generally fade after the 30 mile mark.

Talking about groups - once you get grouped are you in those groups for the rest of the event?

Cheers for the answers,
    LS
    Lazysod, the rules say you'll stay grouped until daylight, which is dependent on the say-so of the checkpoint officer. This will only happen at a roadside checkpoint. The exception is if you arrive at Yarnbury, the last before the finish, where we'll be degrouping even during darkness, on account of it being two miles to the finish, all on road. I'll be manning the checkpoint, so say hello! Getting to YB before dawn means you're on for a finish around 20 hours or so.
    When I did the Fellsman (I walked it) most navigational errors were around the Middle Tongue checkpoint and immediately after it, so keep your wits about you there.
    Hell Gap was moved further up the track three years ago because competitors were taking a short cut across a SSSI site, which caused concern. This has added a little distance so the total course length is probably close to 62 miles now.
    Good luck everyone!

Master

Good Luck guys Fleet Moss could be nice and wet have fun.
    The older I get the Faster I was

What's the cumulative ascent for the Fellsman? How runnable is it?

I am quite tempted by this for next year, but wouldn't mind getting a better idea of the sort of time I'd be after so I can plan food as you have to carry it all.

Cheers

Iain - check out the website - its 62 miles, 10000ft of climb, most is on runnable paths (but there are places where for some its quicker to go direct), the record is just over 10 hours

You have to carry 100g of food with you at all times, plus most people carry additional stuff to eat on the way round, however there are at least 7 places where food - hot and cold is provided and a couple more drinks only if my memory is correct

most is on runnable paths
    Early on maybe. But once you get past Redshaw there isn't. And then it's the hardest type of ground - tussocks, peat hags etc etc.

How many I wonder flounder the direct way across Fleet Moss and how many have sussed out the dry route following walls & fences further south ?

I know which way I go and I don't put a foot wrong. No navigational catastrophies. I've heard of so many people packing in at Cray after spending hours lost on Middle Tongue. If you can get through this part unscathed, then you've cracked it.

DB

Is it errrrr... underoptimistic?

Master

Wall for me DB after all who wants to climb 6ft peat Hags?
    The older I get the Faster I was

..or overpessimistic?

Thanks for all the replies. I'm half looking forward and half thinking "ohmigod ohmigod". But then I guess you can only go so far wrong - I mean Yorkshire's not that big a place..