Page 234 of 235 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235 LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 2345

Thread: Fellsman

I see that the Fellsman are appealing for more entries, as with current entry levels they are going to have to cancel the race.

This is the Yorkshire race I'm most proud to have completed. An amazing trip out! I so hope it gets enough entrants to keep going - It would be a real loss. So much more challenging than most ultra's and a feat of organisation by Keighley Scouts.

It's a bit puddled to go up against the Three Peaks though.

I know it did happen once when I race the PPP, but if entrants are an issue, a bad idea.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    It's a bit puddled to go up against the Three Peaks though.

I know it did happen once when I race the PPP, but if entrants are an issue, a bad idea.
    Not sure about that, They attract a different clientele.

If I was to do a recce run from, say, Ribblehead, taking in Whernside, Gragareth, Great Coum and Blea Moor, does anyone know if there are any access restrictions I need to be mindful of, or is most of it open access?? Not intending to upset any landowners so wanted to check first...

That section should be OK, Dave, although be careful dropping off Whernside down to Kingsdale as there is a wall crossing there. I think the most sensitive access restrictions were always around Fleet Moss/Yockenthwaite.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Thanks Simon. I've decided to stay off the course altogether at this late stage in case I put myself off starting

On a separate note, do you (or anyone else) know if a buff is ok as a spare hat (i'm assuming so as a spare is 'advised' not mandatory) providing I also carry a warmer hat to meet the kit list requirements. And also, regarding the headtorch rules. The rules mention alkaline batteries and spare bulbs which seems a little outdated. So if I used a Hope headtorch, the type with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, is that sufficient or does a spare torch then need to be carried in addition?

Just looking to the groups recent experience before inundating the organisers for clarifications. I've heard the kit check is strict so don't want any added stress on race weekend, and i'm not looking to cut corners, just keep weight down as much as possible to allow for some extra layers/food to be carried.

Ta

Quote Originally Posted by ChevinbyTorchlight View Post
    Thanks Simon. I've decided to stay off the course altogether at this late stage in case I put myself off starting

On a separate note, do you (or anyone else) know if a buff is ok as a spare hat (i'm assuming so as a spare is 'advised' not mandatory) providing I also carry a warmer hat to meet the kit list requirements. And also, regarding the headtorch rules. The rules mention alkaline batteries and spare bulbs which seems a little outdated. So if I used a Hope headtorch, the type with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, is that sufficient or does a spare torch then need to be carried in addition?

Just looking to the groups recent experience before inundating the organisers for clarifications. I've heard the kit check is strict so don't want any added stress on race weekend, and i'm not looking to cut corners, just keep weight down as much as possible to allow for some extra layers/food to be carried.

Ta
    hi Mate, a buff is ok as a second hat, but it depends which kit checker you get whether a buff is a hat if its your only one. my advice is to assume a buff is not a hat. i usually carry a buff/thin hat and a light but warmer montane hat (one of those like a synthetic down insulation cap you can compress in its bag).

happy to have a chat about kit offline if you want.

you'll love it. it's my favourite event of the year but this year i've had to cancel my place as i have to go to a wedding.

Ben

Good luck Dave! I'm sure you will romp it! Easier now that you don't have to group up at night, but you now also miss the joys of Fleet Moss. The only time in a Fell race I have had to swim!

I've seen numerous references now across the web to the Fellsman having one of the toughest kit checks in the country. So what does this mean in practice? I've never failed a kit check in my life despite sometimes (MM's) cutting kit to a minimum, so is there a reason for me to start worrying now?

I appreciate lists can be open to interpretation at times, but are the Fellsman organisers particularly harsh with their interpretation? For example a survival bag could be a foil bag, or a bivvy bag, or a bothy bag. Should I be worried if I only have the foil bag version despite it being BMC rated? What issues/discussions have people had with the kit checkers over the years?

I know i'll be packing something to (in my view) address each requirement on the list, plus additional items in reality. But if my judgement is off then there won't be time to source alternatives, though i'll be taking plenty of options with me to judge against the last minute forecast.