Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training at moderate altitude

Training at moderate altitude

It looks fairly likely that I'll be off to Colorado in January for a few days and I'll be wanting to do some running whilst I'm out there.

I hope to get a hilly run in the foothills of the Rockies, so around 8000-10000', but I've never run above 2000' before.

I should say that I'll probably be there 3 or 4 days before attempting a run like that, but I may do some short early morning runs on the roads as soon as I arrive, and that will be at about 6000'

So, what do I need to know?

Re: Training at moderate altit

Well, it all depends on how well you acclimatise and you don't know that until you get there.

Be prepared to notice the 'thinner' air above about 2800 - 3000 metres...

As you will be staying at roughly the same altitude, the adage of not sleeping any higher than about 400 metres from your previous 'camp' in a day doesn't go. However, at around 3000 metres (10.000ft) you should not really get symptoms of altitude sickness. Do make sure you drink plenty, as you will dehydrate more, often without noticing until you are already dehydrated and just take it easy. You will be getting out of breath more easily to begin with, until you get used to the lower levels of oxygen, so just listen to your body and don't push things.

Enjoy, I am jealous!
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    However, at around 3000 metres (10.000ft) you should not really get symptoms of altitude sickness.
    It all depends on your personal tolerance to altitude but that's certainly not my experience. I start to feel symptoms at about 6000 feet. I once went straight from sea level to 10000 feet in Colorado and felt quite ill and couldn't run more than a few hundred yards. That was at a time when I was averaging 50 miles a week at home and was pretty fit.

Hanneke makes an important point about staying hydrated. The Colorado Rockies are technically a desert and getting enough liquid down your neck is crucial - whatever time of year it is. I'm lucky enough to get out to Crested Butte (around 9000 feet) on a pretty regular basis and I find that for the first three days and nights I just need to hoover down the water otherwise I'm good for nowt. After taking it steady for those three days I find that I've adapted and can get on with enjoying an amazing outdoor playground.

Where are you going to be based Gasping? If it's anywhere near CB I can probably find someone who'll be happy to take a few hours off their skis to have a run.
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

I'll be staying (and working) in Broomfield - a few miles south of Boulder. It looks a bit far to Crested Butte, but thanks anyway for the kind offer tinyman.

I thought hydration might be an issue as I've been out there a few times before - when I was not fit or a runner and remember people advising drinking plenty, but I wasn't sure if it was because we were boozing it up on a works jolly or because of the altitude. So thanks for the tip - camelbak will be packed.

Quote Originally Posted by shadbolt View Post
    It all depends on your personal tolerance to altitude but that's certainly not my experience. I start to feel symptoms at about 6000 feet. I once went straight from sea level to 10000 feet in Colorado and felt quite ill and couldn't run more than a few hundred yards. That was at a time when I was averaging 50 miles a week at home and was pretty fit.
    As I said, it all depends on how well you acclimatise... I have had a client who, like you started suffering mild AMS symptoms at over 2000 metres too... But on average, things don't start until you are aboce 3000-ish metres... and only usually if you move up too much too soon.

But, i case you are a slow adaptor Gasping, have a look at this: http://www.high-altitude-medicine.co...worksheet.html

If your Lake Louise score remains below 5, it will be only mild AMS and rest and acclimatisation will do the job...

Ok, I was going to write out a bit about Acute Mountain Sickness, High Altitude Cerebral Edema and High Altitude Pulmonary Edema, but found this very useful and clear text on 't net for your information. Not that I want to cause panic, but it is always best to be prepared

http://www.ismmed.org/np_altitude_tu...cclimatization

You'll feel it, it'll be more effort, we're out in aus at the moment visiting the wifes family and they live at 1000m elevation and we feel that, not hugely, but rep times, pace etc is always down.

Straight off the plane you'll feel 8-10,000ft, I've seen people pass out at those altitudes. I'd do some walking the first day and see how you feel.
    Last edited by IainR; 18-12-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Broomfield itself is around 6000', but given the comments, I think I'll avoid running immediately after I get there until I'm sure I'm ok, although I might try a brisk walk just to stretch out.

Assuming I don't show any signs of AMS, I'll do the longer run in the foothills - around 8000' rather than in the mountains up to 10000' and risking too much. I'll have been there 4 days by then, so hopefully will have become reasonably acclimitised.

this is something I've been thinking about, as I'm considering a summer holiay in the Pyrenees with a view to taking in one or two mountain races

what I'm not entirely clear on is how quickly altitude effects can come on? Someone has said to me that if you just pop up to altitude and run for two or three hours you'll be back down before anything has time to occur - whereas I'd've thought if you're running then you will feel the thinner air almost immediately?

I know some people are much more susceptible than others to sickness, but I suppose I'm just wondering how quickly you discover this and whether you could get into trouble attempting an 18-mile race at height without really knowing for sure?