Thread: Cartilage injuries

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cartilage injuries

Interested in other peoples' views on cartilage injuries.

Had a problem 5-6 years ago and, in my naiveity at the time, went to see a doctor, then a consultant surgeon who immediately suggested an op. Subsequently, some of the cartilage in my right knee was trimmed off.

Have to say it hasn't been marvellous ever since but I cope these days!

Until Friday....2500ft up in the Carneddau and, with my knee bent, I felt something "give" and felt like my knee was slightly locked and wouldn't take any weight.

Thanks to a couple of climbers who were brilliant and stayed with me, a chap who lent me a walking stick and my lovely better half who went ahead to get the car as near as possible, I got down ok albeit slowly.

Now, the question is, what do I do about the injury? Certainly feels like it's settled down and the "locking" and "weakness" has pretty much gone.

Been reading up and I wonder whether I hadn't got some cartilage or some other loose body in the knee joint.

So experiences/advice please .... I'm quite a believer in the sorting itself out given the chance and therefore my instinct is to see if this just "goes away". What are opinions on that? Can a loose body in the knee clear itself? Plan to go to my osteopath anyway .... but very reluctant to see a surgeon who, after all, has a vested interest!!!

Against that, guess I'm a bit nervous about the fact that I do a fair few solo runs out on the fells when training .... and I was reamarkably "lucky" that the knee went whilst out with someone else and while there were others around to help.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Re: Cartilage injuries

Doesn't sound good! I think if it truly locked out then it does sound cartiliginous in origin. Have you tried a run on it since?
    I only run so I can eat cake Oh...and drink cider

Quote Originally Posted by justlovestretching... View Post
    Doesn't sound good! I think if it truly locked out then it does sound cartiliginous in origin. Have you tried a run on it since?
    Thanks for the reply. Well, I'm going to try a run on it this evening. It's really settled down over the last couple of days and the locking/weakness feeling has more or less gone.....which leaves me thinking either I had got a problem with some loose body in the knee joint, which has cleared itself or, wondering whether it's a neurological problem? That would certainly explain the feeling of complete weakness in the leg.

Ach, I'll get out there and see how it goes. Fingers crossed, touch wood etc.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Bloody Hell - are you still out there ?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

You jest Molehill - but I was trying to ring him last night to see how it went, and he's nowhere to be found! Yikes!!
    I think I'll walk this bit....

I think there is "locking" and then there's "LOCKING". I.e., not all locking is of the same severity or carries the same prognosis.

During my West Highland Way race, one of my knees locked about 30 miles into he race forcing me to hop an skip a good number of miles. Post race, my knee settled down and I've had no trouble with that knee since.

I suspect that something got pinched between the articular surfaces but what ever it was has either gone or moved out of the way.

All this is a roundabout way of saying that you *might* have continued problems due to a possible loose body within your knee joint but it's not definite. You may get lucky and find that it resolves without any further problems.

Personally I would give time and mother nature a chance to sort the problem. If they can't manage it, *then* call in the cavalry.

Regards

Tim