Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: "It's OK, He won't bite"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    We had a rather strange encounter with a chap that owes a strip of land near us today. MrRTS was running along with our border collie Beau on a public footpath through a field that goes past his house as you exit the gate. He keeps horses but none of them were in the field. He also has a dog that is kept chained up in the yard. As we ran past he shouted "put that dog on a lead". MrRTS very politely said "he is under control". The chap then said "its the law. It has to be on a lead". Hubby replied "The law says dogs have to be under control". To this the chap said "If I see you and it again I will shoot it". We had no reply to this.
    Now ... 1st of all there was no animals in that field. To shoot Beau he would of had to shoot MrRTS's legs from under him as Beau runs right next to his leg. There were no signs saying dogs must be on leads.
    On this run and any others we do if we go into a field with livestock or land where signs say dogs must be on leads he goes on a lead even though he is no closer to hubby's leg.
    Beau is a super dog. Very friendly to other dogs, people and animals ... except when he is running with us. He then ignores people, other dogs, all animals and any distractions. Just runs glued to MrRTS's leg.
    Beau is a rescue dog that we are very lucky to have.
    So discuss that one, it was a very unsettling experience that our dog and hubby's legs could be threatened with a gun! Any advice and actually "no, he does not bite". Here is a photo of Beau grinning - he doesn't even frown.
    Attachment 8403
    Stay away - the only solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Stay away - the only solution.
    But it is a route just 1ml from our home that leads to other routes. Surely the wrong is with the landowner. Maybe the solution is to take his gun away as he is obviously not of stable mind to own one.

Master
    This chap is clearly a worry - in an ideal world the police would take his gun away, in practice he would just turn into an unpredictable enemy - stay away or go past with your dog on a lead. Sometimes, despite being "right", we have to accept defeat.

We had a rather strange encounter with a chap that owes a strip of land near us today. MrRTS was running along with our border collie Beau on a public footpath through a field that goes past his house as you exit the gate. He keeps horses but none of them were in the field. He also has a dog that is kept chained up in the yard. As we ran past he shouted "put that dog on a lead". MrRTS very politely said "he is under control". The chap then said "its the law. It has to be on a lead". Hubby replied "The law says dogs have to be under control". To this the chap said "If I see you and it again I will shoot it". We had no reply to this.
    Now ... 1st of all there was no animals in that field. To shoot Beau he would of had to shoot MrRTS's legs from under him as Beau runs right next to his leg. There were no signs saying dogs must be on leads.
    On this run and any others we do if we go into a field with livestock or land where signs say dogs must be on leads he goes on a lead even though he is no closer to hubby's leg.
    Beau is a super dog. Very friendly to other dogs, people and animals ... except when he is running with us. He then ignores people, other dogs, all animals and any distractions. Just runs glued to MrRTS's leg.
    Beau is a rescue dog that we are very lucky to have.
    So discuss that one, it was a very unsettling experience that our dog and hubby's legs could be threatened with a gun! Any advice and actually "no, he does not bite". Here is a photo of Beau grinning - he doesn't even frown.
    Attachment 8403
    Any threat of shooting for no reason must be reported to the police. you have a duty of care to other people. if he has threatened you with a gun report it now before he does lose it and ends up shooting someone.

I heard at a race recently that a gun was dishcharged at/near a group of darkpeakers around Christmas. 1 had a dog with him. I think he was visited by some park official...!!

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    Any threat of shooting for no reason must be reported to the police. you have a duty of care to other people. if he has threatened you with a gun report it now before he does lose it and ends up shooting someone.
    ^^^This!

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    We are going to see if we can speak to someone today.

We are going to see if we can speak to someone today.
    Good article from Farmers Weekly: http://www.fwi.co.uk/farm-life/your-...-your-land.htm

There is a farmer near Moel y Parc in the Clwyds with the same attitude. Numerous signs up telling you he will shoot your dog and he has threatened to shoot mine. This was annoying as whilst mine were calm, obedient and under close control (infact I was just putting them on the lead to enter a field with loose livestock) his dogs were going crackers. I have been told by others that he is known for shooting dogs and to give him a wide berth.

I actually believe that farmers should be able to shoot dogs that are genuinely causing distress to their livestock. Unfortunately peoples interpretation of where the line is differs.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by brummievet View Post
    Most interesting but I wonder how many would think of the possible consequences before shooting a dog.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast