Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Calder Valley Rd-Good Friday

Re: Calder Valley Rd-Good Frid

Right, i jumped out of bed this morning and winced.

Im going to have to join you all next time, have a good'un!

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    For anyone who cannot make it this time I will probably have another run round it in the summer so there will be another chance.

Others might like to comment but I think it should be possible to follow the route description on the ground quite well. There is such a network of paths in that area that transferring the description to the map might be tricky in some places.

Anyway Richard I hope you manage it sometime soon.
    Route description fine, mileage might help at each checkpoint, only bit i got lost on twice was after power stanchion at end of Dick lane heading to Broadhead valley headed off in the wrong direction both times (at exact opposites).

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    only bit i got lost on twice was after power stanchion at end of Dick lane heading to Broadhead valley headed off in the wrong direction both times (at exact opposites).
    We had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, went too far right and had to cut back across to reach the marker posts. Otherwise the instructions were easy to follow.

When we went round before conditions were perfect underfoot, very different yesterday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
    We had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, went too far right and had to cut back across to reach the marker posts. Otherwise the instructions were easy to follow.

When we went round before conditions were perfect underfoot, very different yesterday!!!
    It is difficult to get that bit right, whatever the directions you have. The Hebden gives bearings from boundary stone to boundary stone, but it's still easy to go wrong.

I'll be wearing Mudclaws by the way: there are plenty of bits that will be pretty muddy, and studs will be an advantage.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

I can't make this, but as Splatcher says Mudclaws would probably be very wise.

I ran the Shepherds Skyline route last night and it was very very muddy and waterlogged.

Have a good one all!

This really is a good run out - I enjoyed it just as much as doing it in the snow in January. We had a good turnout - 11 I think, although I'm sure MOUNTAIN MAN will give the definitive match report shortly. No rain, no sleet, not even any wind to speak of, so although the air temperature was quite cold - 3 or 4 degrees I think - the weather was ideal for running. As expected it was muddy underfoot, but this isn't a route with deep peatbogs to worry about, so the mud didn't slow us down much.

We all went off together, but Cantona & I ran ahead down from Kitling Bridge to Midgehole & the others never did catch us up, although we saw them behind us occasionally. Times for Cantona & me:

Start: about 8:35 I think
    Old Town Mill: 0:32
    Gibson Mill: forgot to press the button!
    Staups Mill: 1:37
    Stoodley Pike: 2:15
    Track Junction: 2:35
    Park Cottage: 2:48
    Finish: 2:57

The others came in a few minutes later, and most of us headed for the pub for a quick one.
    My hat comes off to Cantona, who did this the day after running the Three Peaks for a recce. He could have gone faster, but he didn't know the way so had to wait for me. I think MM's going to have to review his "Elite" time limit for this one - Cantona probably fits that description but I don't!

Good to meet the other forumites and the Idle runners. That's not knocking their level of industry by the way, that's just where they come from.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Made it home thankfully,cheers for letting me use your car phil.Nice run,good to meet you all.Hot bath and a pint of tea now

Made it home thankfully,cheers for letting me use your car phil.Nice run,good to meet you all.Hot bath and a pint of tea now

Thanks for the run out this morning. Even though I'm a "local" I still found a few tracks and trails I had never run, or only run in the opposite direction!

Forgot to stop my Garmin on various checkpoints, but I think the rest of us were as follows

Start - 0835 ish
    Old Town - 0908 (33 mins)
    Gibson Mill - 0930 (55 mins)
    Staups Mill - 1014 (1hr 39 mins)
    Stoodley Pike - 1056 (2hr 21 mins) (Including trip up the pike!)
    Track Junc - 1118 (2hr 43 mins)
    Park Cott - 1135 (3hr )
    Finish - 1145 (3hr 10 mins)

Total 3hrs 10mins 24 secs.

I'll definately be having another go to try for the Elite!
    Last edited by Flightless Bird; 02-04-2010 at 04:03 PM.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Cheers for the run this morning,saw loads of new tracks n trails ......bit of mud thrown in.....sorted.Think I will do another reccie ,then have a go for a time,but its gona be after the 3 peaks now.