Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2018

Rather than create a new thread, though I might do that so that it doesn't get lost, and since I've posted registration information here already this is a bit of a heads up.

I noted earlier about the level of spam vs genuine registrations. This morning I noticed that Google mail had marked two spam attempts as spam whereas previously they would come through as genuine registrations. These usually happen when an actual person fills out the form but the data is obviously fake - "Barneyxqijka" as a name for example. What might happen is that Google might start associating emails from the registration form as spam.

If that happens I'll probably have to make some changes to the registration process so that I don't lose genuine registrations. The probable solution will be a "front page" that filters between new registrations, update details and possibly one or two other options. The registration form itself would have a random BGR based question: "What's the second road crossing going anti-clockwise?", "Who holds the record for the fastest round?" or similar where you have to type in the answer rather than select from a list.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

A merry band of, so far, 3 of us are meeting at Threlkeld 830am this Sat 3 March for a trot over leg 2. Pace is a modest run / walk / snowy trudge. If time, conditions and eagerness allow, we may also do an out and back of part of leg 3. All this is snow dependent for travelling up, as we are not local. Anyone who wants to join us is welcome but let us know you're coming or else be on time! I'll post any update to plans here

With the way the week has progressed and taking soundings from weather services and locals .... the leg 2 recce we were planning has been postponed to another day

..... the 'other day' being Sat 17 March hopefully. Keeping an eye on fell top reports and wil post update mid next week

Recce going ahead Sat, leaving Threlkeld around 830. Basically leg 2 but with choices along the way depending on weather and who's running. Looks like it'll be a cold and challenging day

So did you make it over leg 2 Saturday? I was supposed to be going to the Lakes Sunday (for Lakes 42 recce though) but it wasn't feasible to travel unfortunately! I love running in the snow but think I've lost a lot of speed this winter :-)

Part of leg 2. Wind was so strong (>50mph) on the tops it was hard to stand, so I went as far as Raise then cut back and down Sticks Pass and took a low level route back. Was also very cold: according to fell top assessors report -8C and with wind chill that made it -23C! Character building.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
    Part of leg 2. Wind was so strong (>50mph) on the tops it was hard to stand, so I went as far as Raise then cut back and down Sticks Pass and took a low level route back. Was also very cold: according to fell top assessors report -8C and with wind chill that made it -23C! Character building.
    Combined it with a bit of a TdH reccie then, Chris?

Are you back up before the GL3D?
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Reccies planned for 14 and 28 April

Prompted by Derby Tup’s post on another thread, I’ll add here that Dan Wilkinson and Ben Sheppard of Ilkley Harriers completed the round on 26 May in 20 hours 55.

We carried trackers and it is possible to see the rounds on the open tracking website page for BG 2018. (I didn’t turn my tracker off at Moot Hall at the end so it registered me as still moving a few minutes later when I left the steps to rejoin pacers and supporters and head to the pub. I’m not having Dan claim he was faster than me.)

With a 2am start and an ambitious 20 hour schedule we had no pacers on leg 1. Conditions on Skiddaw were bad. Visibility down to two metres in the dark and 50 mph wind. Struggled to find the summit and the correct line off. Once our of the clag and back on the right line things improved. Conditions underfoot were dry and the strong winds all day at least cooled us down a bit in the heat. We lost time on leg 1 and maybe a little on leg 2 but pretty much kept to 20 hour pace from there except maybe a slightly extended stop at Wasdale. Legs 3 4 and 5 went well, all with pacers, and we finished strong enough to race the clock for last orders (although the pub on the market square evidently had a late licence anyway.)

Dan’s write up is on the Ilkley Harriers website if you have a spare hour.

Cheers and thanks to pacers and support crew including GB’s Jack Wood on road support legs 4&5 (complete in his GB kit at my request).

Ben