Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biking Shortening Hamstrings?

Master

Re: Biking Shortening Hamstrin

Quote Originally Posted by marty mcfly View Post
    So in this case the summary is:

If you're looking to develop aerobic fitness, go for 80+. If you're looking to develop muscle strength, go for 60 and a big gear.

Just common sense really!
    No Marty.Not necessarily. You'll be able to ride faster with the 60-70RPM at the same V02, according to this study. BUT, this study was probably carried out indoors on a static trainer.

Therefore it cannot be applied to riding on the road. Some of the variables will be different.

The best gear will be the one that requires the least amount of power for the same amount of speed.

Getting the best out of one's riding is a fascinating subject, because unlike running a lot of things can be changed.

I think the UCI and their butcher bike philosophy, has destroyed a lot of innovation in the cycling world. They should have allowed Obree type positions to be advanced, and from this we would have seen some radical designs.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    You need to try riding fixed downhill .
    I get a bit scared at 160+ these days after unshipping the chain
    http://furious-cycling.fotopic.net/p26128371.html

Quote Originally Posted by Highy View Post
    What would you consider a high cadence - I reckon I ride about 80/min at the moment - is that high enough?
    For me, riding at high cadence is riding at anything higher than 90... I typically ride at 95 rpm and 35 km/hr on the flat and try to maintain that cadence when I have to climb. This means I tend to slow down uphill, but as I predominantly ride on cadence, I don't mind that. Trying to maintain an even, high cadence seems to work best for me.

Just looked at that fixie with the wrapped around chain... auch!

I can't contemplate riding fixed in the hills here, I only ride fixed on the track... and that is scary enough. Mind you, I haven't come a cropper yet...

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post

I think the UCI and their butcher bike philosophy, has destroyed a lot of innovation in the cycling world. They should have allowed Obree type positions to be advanced, and from this we would have seen some radical designs.
    Bike technology is still advancing with the pro peleton being the testing ground - composite materials, electronic gear change, frame design, clothing design. Bike racing has got to have uniformaty to allow for an equal playing field - for radical innovation look at the world man powered land speed record machines - I think the geometory and weight guidlines laid down on competition machines are neccesary and the weight guidlines do move with the times, 6.8KG currently which is reviewed and has not always been such.

Quote Originally Posted by idler View Post
    I get a bit scared at 160+ these days after unshipping the chain
    Had a cadence sensor on a fixed I used to have and clocked 182 with a 67" gear - it hurt a lot! Also had a lock up without a chain breakage which would have made a great clip for You Tube - 30 yard upright skid managing to stay on. Brett rescued me from the pain of fixed.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Highy View Post
    I've noticed when running downhill my hamstrings have been feeling tight; I stretch after the run but the tightness remains for a couple of days after.

I've only really noticed the tightness as my running mileage has dropped off.
    I'm thinking that the biking might be causing the hamstrings to shorten.
    The hamstring never seems to fully extend on the bike although I'm pretty certain my seat height is set ok. I haven't changed anything on the bike.

Hoping some of the cyclists on here can help me out?

Stand at the bottom of the stairs , put either foot on the bottom step , pull your foot upwards and feel your hamstring pulling.
    Are you sure your seat is not to far forward?

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

do you stand at the bottom of the stairs while seated on the bike?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    Bike technology is still advancing with the pro peleton being the testing ground - composite materials, electronic gear change, frame design, clothing design. Bike racing has got to have uniformaty to allow for an equal playing field - for radical innovation look at the world man powered land speed record machines - I think the geometory and weight guidlines laid down on competition machines are neccesary and the weight guidlines do move with the times, 6.8KG currently which is reviewed and has not always been such.
    Bike racing would have uniformity by allowing people to use what they like, under the definition of 'bicycle.' You say the guidelines are 'necessary' then you say the weight guidelines move with the times. In other words there's no necessity about it.

What difference will having a £6000(I could buy a motorbike for that much)carbon fibre bicycle make, when you can't change your position to one that suits you.

The butcher bike mentality is all about conformity, and that's why bike design is boring. Thou shalt have thee saddle 0.01mm behind the bottom bracket, and thou must not movest one's bum off the seat because, if thou doest, thou will be disqualified.

It's getting worse than formula one, where "nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all, the needle returns to the start of the song, and we all sing along like before."

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    do you stand at the bottom of the stairs while seated on the bike?
    nope thats why i said stand

Master

One,two, three...and nothing ever happens......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FggdVPLDFMQ