Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dislocated shoulder

Dislocated shoulder

I'm sure I'm not the only person on the forum to have suffered a dislocated shoulder. Mine's also fractured (socket break). The consultant has given a 12 month schedule for rehab to as good as it'll get; driving again in a couple of months or so, strengthening not to begin for 3 or 4 months.
    Given that the mechanics of running aren't the same as (say) tennis, weightlifting or gymnastics, does anyone have experience of where starting running again might fit into this timeframe?
    Further down the line, is it worth considering a sports shoulder brace, and if so, which ones are good?
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

just keep on running, like this chap:
    http://www.wildrunner.co.za/news/201...-another-notch
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Ha! I did consider the Killian approach. But only for a nano second. Then I quickly filed it with the large number of things that he can do but I can't.
    I seem to recall Rob Jebb being out of action for a few months - 9?
    Maybe that's more my level?!?

Actually I've looked a bit more closely at the Killian episode and he's not as completely superhuman as it appears at first sight. He'd apparently dislocated his shoulders umpteen times previously. They'd have been getting increasingly weakened and prone to further dislocations; possibly a good advert for taking more time to rehab fully. Since the Hardrock 100 he's needed reconstructive surgery on both shoulders at a clinic in Barcelona.
    So, only 99% God-like...

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Actually I've looked a bit more closely at the Killian episode and he's not as completely superhuman as it appears at first sight. He'd apparently dislocated his shoulders umpteen times previously. They'd have been getting increasingly weakened and prone to further dislocations; possibly a good advert for taking more time to rehab fully. Since the Hardrock 100 he's needed reconstructive surgery on both shoulders at a clinic in Barcelona.
    So, only 99% God-like...
    May I suggest training starting by walking, on say leg 31 starting from Appletreewick on the 11 August?
    Going to try again....

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    May I suggest training starting by walking, on say leg 31 starting from Appletreewick on the 11 August?
    Amex! Have PM'd you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Amex! Have PM'd you.
    Replied xx
    Ps no Ribble Valley the journey to the dark side (yarrrrrrkkkkshiiirreee) was a bridge to far....
    Going to try again....

How did you get on with the stiles at Up the Odda on Saturday, TF? I can imagine them not being the easiest of obstacles for someone recovering from a dislocated shoulder.

Carefully, Martin. I had a better than usual excuse for moving very slowly!

I dislocated my shoulder just after the final checkpoint at Langdale 4 years ago on relatively flat ground (slightly annoying, lol) I'm also a Physio so can perhaps answer your question.

I was "lucky" with my dislocation in that I didn't fracture anything (very common)and didn't do any severe damage to the rotator cuff which help stabilise the humeral head. It was a full anterior dislocation and extremely painful but I avoided and complications as it was cleanly popped out. The inner labrum which makes the shoulder socket slightly deeper can often be damaged causing some complications in recovery.

The key is to regain full range of movement first and then begin strengthening work on the rotator cuff to help prevent further dislocations. Your injury will have be complicated slightly by the fracture component. I'm guessing you've had some Physio input already? You're probably looking at pretty severe pain for 4-6 weeks and then moderate pain and stiffness for another month after but that will depend on severity of fracture and dislocation.

Longer term once you've got your range back and strength you shouldn't have any issues running apart from some stiffness in the medium long term. Therefore there shouldn't need to be any reliance on a brace of any sort if you've done the appropriate rehab. The difficulty with dislocations is if you're going back into contact sports namely football/rugby where there's a likelihood of being hit mid movement and a fall. That said you want to rehab it fully so that it's nice and strong because you'll want the shoulder to be strong for fell races (reaching up pulling yourself up steep climbs or more so putting your arm out to stop yourself). And also a strong shoulder/scapula will massively reduce the risk of future dislocations generally. I'm guessing you've had Physio inout but if not get referred by your gp so they can or aguse your rehab.

I've had no issues from my shoulder in running since but have made sure I strengthening the shoulder/rotator cuff as best I cuould.

Hope that helps, Rob