Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Barkley Marathons.

Re: Barkley Marathons.

Hi Everyone. I have just joined this forum as I intend to do lots of fell running in order to make myself fit and strong enough to have a go at this silly race.

It is under my skin now.

Am running the UTSW and the Satmap 10 peaks this summer. Some nice hills there I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesadams View Post
    Hi Everyone. I have just joined this forum as I intend to do lots of fell running in order to make myself fit and strong enough to have a go at this silly race.

It is under my skin now.

Am running the UTSW and the Satmap 10 peaks this summer. Some nice hills there I hope.
    Welcome to the forum James.

Not having done it but read the book I think you need hills but not nice ones
    Some of the finishers have been doing 30,000ft+ of ascent a week!

I've got a few routes in Ennerdale I always think would make good Barkley training, steeper and rougher than anything I've seen but you'd have a better idea :wink:

Good luck with your training
    Bill

It is under my skin now.

I first found out about the event a couple of years ago and I find the whole concept of it, where completing it is the absolute exception rather than the rule, fascinating. Add in the many quirks like the 'random' start time, collecting pages from books and the choice of direction of the final lap (though not necessarily your choice) and it just adds to the uniqueness and mystique.

Based on the various write-ups I've read from participants, yours included, I think it is an event that generates some of the best quality writing on ultras I've seen. But perhaps that shouldn't be surprising given the nature of it.

Good luck with your training for it over the next few years. I'm not planning on have a go at it. Yet.

Colin

It is under my skin now.

Doing the UTSW as well, looking forward to picking up a kebab and chips as I stagger through Newquay on the second night (if I even make it that far).

I believe that 3 people managed the full 5 laps within 60 hours this year which is a record and must have made a small dint in the 1.4% finish percentage.

Here is Jared Campbell's report of his race. Jared is a pretty tough customer:

http://door5.com/2012/04/13/barkley-100-2012/#more-1077
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

First trailer for the Barkley Marathons film is now online. Looks a bit tough!

Jared Campbell finishes Barkley for the second time:

http://www.irunfar.com/2014/04/silve...14-report.html

Chapeau (again).

Quote Originally Posted by MorganW View Post
    Jared Campbell finishes Barkley for the second time:

http://www.irunfar.com/2014/04/silve...14-report.html

Chapeau (again).
    What a great report - thanks

Wow, amazing. I'll have to buy that DVD when it's released. The trailer is already impressive enough, high quality and sounding good on the Hi-Fi.

Of the 40 starters in the 2015 edition, two managed to finish the "Fun Run" (3 laps).

No-one completed a fourth lap, never mind a fifth.

Barkley wins again.