Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Graham Round

Re: Bob Graham Round

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Hi all,

I've just registered and am attempting the BGR in March if anyone has any useful info I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Keep going and best of luck, enjoy yourself and hope you get round Chaz
    Hills and Guinness!

thanks a lot for all the replies there: going to have to read them at my leisure rather than with the boss floating around ....

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Also.....You get to go up Halls Fell instead of down it....
    does everyone go up / down Halls Fell. What about Doddick fell?

Its your choice ZHR really whatever you prefer you need to recce it every which way and see what is fastest, easiest and safest for you.

I recced Doddick, Halls and the Gully but decided on my attempt to use Halls as it was pretty dry and still plenty of light. In the dark Doddick may have been preferable and if I was running a bit behind schedule that gully is very fast.

You have to decide yourself though

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    does everyone go up / down Halls Fell. What about Doddick fell?
    Don't know about the gully, but Doddick is definitely quicker than Hall's Fell, especially if it's dark & the rock is damp. When I did my round we were at the top of Blencathra with Yiannis, Steve & the Bowland crowd. We came down Doddick, they came down Hall's Fell and I was at Threlkeld about 10 minutes before them.

Going up, I would probably choose Hall's Fell, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Don't know about the gully, but Doddick is definitely quicker than Hall's Fell, especially if it's dark & the rock is damp. When I did my round we were at the top of Blencathra with Yiannis, Steve & the Bowland crowd. We came down Doddick, they came down Hall's Fell and I was at Threlkeld about 10 minutes before them.

Going up, I would probably choose Hall's Fell, though.
    Steve was on my first leg and he went down Halls while I went down direct and even getting the line slightly wrong I was fed and watered at Threlkeld and setting off on leg two when I saw their lights appear on the lower section of Halls.
    Bill

The direct descend, which I have now perfected, is quick. It is all runnable, steep in parts and about 1km shorter than the Doddick fell descent. I do it much quicker than Hall's Fell (and I am not bad on rocks).
    What date in March Chaz?
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by Donkarlo View Post

I recced Doddick, Halls and the Gully but decided on my attempt to use Halls as it was pretty dry and still plenty of light. In the dark Doddick may have been preferable and if I was running a bit behind schedule that gully is very fast.

You have to decide yourself though
    i think early on a major factor is saving your legs. So the route which is easiest for you is often best, that may not always be quickest. You make time later. Later on if you're behind time or close then a few gambles on the quicker steeper lines can pay off.

Quick descents are the one thing that destroy your legs.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    i think early on a major factor is saving your legs. So the route which is easiest for you is often best, that may not always be quickest. You make time later. Later on if you're behind time or close then a few gambles on the quicker steeper lines can pay off.

Quick descents are the one thing that destroy your legs.
    Good shout Iain, its definitely something to consider, my legs were shaking when I got down to Threlkeld but soon ran that off. It definitely worth putting in some thought.

Is Chaz coming back to this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Steve was on my first leg and he went down Halls while I went down direct and even getting the line slightly wrong I was fed and watered at Threlkeld and setting off on leg two when I saw their lights appear on the lower section of Halls.
    I came down Halls Fell with Steve that night, the rock was slippery, it was dark and misty - Horrible!

I have done the direct route about 5 times now, including my own BG last year and I reckon I have got the route right, I wouldn't use any other way now!