Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Castle Carr

Castle Carr

New AL race Castle Carr this Sunday (4th) - who's coming to the inaugural race?

I'm excited about the birth of a new race, but also a bit nervous since its a club championship race for Todmorden and Bingley and also the Area Fell clubs (Horwich, Rossendale, Saddleworth, etc) - all despite it never having been run before!
    Should be a great occasion. :-)

Two things for anyone who's coming:
    - don't underestimate this race! It will be tough not just because of the distance and climb, but also some of the testing terrain; there's a mix of good running and rough, pathless moor that will definitely challenge you
    - it is mostly not flagged, so you must be reliant on yourself to get you round the route

http://www.cvfr.co.uk/races/castle-carr/
    Last edited by BillJ; 30-08-2016 at 10:23 PM.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

After being guided by Bill (cheers Bill), last night, to the vicinity of cp 1/9 and some of the return home route all I can add is you're in for a treat.....especially along the pathless sections........
    This BG round & the training therein is dedicated to the fond memory of Daz H - there is no such word as can't.

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    New AL race Castle Carr this Sunday (4th) - who's coming to the inaugural race?

I'm excited about the birth of a new race, but also a bit nervous since its a club championship race for Todmorden and Bingley and also the Area Fell clubs (Horwich, Rossendale, Saddleworth, etc) - all despite it never having been run before!
    Should be a great occasion. :-)

Two things for anyone who's coming:
    - don't underestimate this race! It will be tough not just because of the distance and climb, but also some of the testing terrain; there's a mix of good running and rough, pathless moor that will definitely challenge you
    - it is mostly not flagged, so you must be reliant on yourself to get you round the route

http://www.cvfr.co.uk/races/castle-carr/
    And could be a few Holmfirth in the mix as well - always keen to try a new race!
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

I loved this race and will be putting it on my calendar for next year Bill :-)

Bit of a novelty this weekend....I've only raced once!

Working Friday night had scuppered my chances of racing on Saturday so off I went to watch Chorley FC play host to York City. I've not been on Chorley for awhile, in truth football doesn't really interest me that much anymore....the 'beautiful game' has become too big for its boots, even at this level some of the players see themselves has a bit special. Apparently York are full time professionals and it amazed me just how unfit some of these professional athletes were....3 of their players were visibly overweight.

Anyone with any football knowledge may recall a player call Jon Parkin. He's a big lad to say the least, but to his credit he's been a decent player over the years and has always produced a creditable goals per game ratio wherever he's played. Jon is known as 'the beast' in reference to his large frame and playing style. Thankfully Jon and his fellow Yorkies had an off day and Chorley won 2-0.

Today I'm back to familiar surroundings and getting my fell race fix.....and it's all thanks to another 'beast'.

A few years ago race organisers/clubs were asked if they could devise a new AL category race that could be considered for the English Championship. Over the past ten years the 20 races used for the 'long' counter have been predominantly Lakeland races....Holme Moss, Three Peaks, Edale Skyline, Bradda and today's Castle Carr being the only exceptions.

Calder Valley fell runner Bill Johnson took up the challenge and presented the fell calendar with Castle Carr.

I've always found Bill to be an extremely knowledge guy and a pleasure to chat with.....a true gentleman. Today I've found out, along with a couple of hundred fell runners, that Bill has a dark side.....for the 2nd time this weekend I'd encountered a beast....Step forward Bill 'the beast' Johnson, you've one hell of a sense of humour....check point 1 down towards the reservoir and check point 9 to the finish really tried my sense of humour...not forgetting my ankles and hamstrings.

I heard some say the course was convoluted....maybe it is to an extent. But given the area and the criteria required for an AL category race I personally think it was a proper challenging fell race which must've been a right labour of love to devise. Most of the big hills in Calder Valley are unfortunately covered in tarmac and who wants to run on that stuff?

I really enjoyed trying to piece together all the previous times I'd raced over these tussock laden moors: Wadsworth Trog/half, Mytholmroyd, Midgley Moor, Wicken Hill Whizz, Reservoir Bogs, Tom Tittiman, Crow Hill Reverse....anymore?

Many thanks to Bill and all helpers (over 50 marshals out and about).

Castle Carr...cracker.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Thanks Darren. Good to see you as ever.
    It was heartening to have so many say afterwards what a good, tough route it is. And how well marshalled. :-)
    There's a big variety of running in this race - a fair amount of good running - but its the rough parts that are the most memorable!

Results on Sportident are here: http://live.sportident.co.uk/home/mu...3-a3bda070ca80

PS: lost property: a Garmin Forerunner 10 was found afterwards. Let me know if its yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Bit of a novelty this weekend....I've only raced once!
    Careful, you might get used to it. Especially after people like me point out how well you did and how it took me the first 8 miles to catch you.

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Having recce'd part of the route, I knew it was very rough in places, and looked an awkward route to me, but on the day it was a good challenging mix of different terrain which was a great leveller. Definitely not a typical champs race, but a good day in the hills none the less.

Having said all that, if I never see another tussock again I'll be a happy man!
    @Hill_Runner on twitter