Page 180 of 300 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182190230280 ... LastLast
Results 1,791 to 1,800 of 2997

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    11.6 miles, 2,578 feet, 3 hours 22 minutes: Loughrigg trails from Rothay Bridge, ascending initially next to Fox Gill, the final descent being through Fishgarths Wood. Sunshine and clouds, and a few brief light showers. The cloud base is in general above the high tops. Windy, even in the valleys. Terrain saturated/streaming and very slippery. Lots of walkers on and around the fell. I saw two other fell runners.

My favorite local run from Buxton on a lovely morning after all yesterdays rain. Up Macclesfield Old Road and down into the Goyt, down the road a bit and up Berry Clough to return. Bit wet under foot and 3 dog walkers seen, along with grouse and gold finches.
    Matt Podd, 64yrs old of Otley.

Master
    12.83 miles, 3,499 feet, 4 hours 24 minutes: Elterwater - Silver How - Lang How - Swinescar Pike - Sergeant Man - High White Stones - High Raise - Sergeant Man - back the way I had come. Initially an inversion, with the top of the cloud at about 900 feet; this quickly melted away leaving sunshine and higher clouds, with the cloud base just catching some of the high tops. A few minutes of light rain. There was a moderate breeze on the tops, very still elsewhere. Terrain wet and slippery. Quite a few walkers about, some in large groups, and I saw two other fell runners.

Master
    13.17 miles, 3,872 feet, 4 hours 1 minute: Fairfield Horseshoe clockwise from Rothay Bridge, for a change going over the tops I normally go around - Heron Pike x 2, Great Rigg, Hart Crag and Dove Crag - and going down the Rock Step. Sunshine and clouds, the latter just catching some of the high tops. A cold wind from the north at times, even in the valley. A couple of minutes of light rain. Terrain dry in places, wet in others, grip very variable. Quite a few walkers on the fell.

Master
    10.49 miles, 3,868 feet, 3 hours 27 minutes: Wansfell Pike from three sides. Glorious sunshine, the occasional cloud well above the tops, a cold breeze at times. I had all over waterproof kit on to keep that cold breeze at bay. No rain. Terrain dry - damp - wet; slippery in places, particularly short steep wet grass. Quite a few on the main steps to the Pike, very few elsewhere.

Master
    14.59 miles, 4,000 feet, 4 hours 25 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Fishgarths Wood - Todd Crag - Loughrigg Tarn - Loughrigg top - Elterwater Common - Swinescar Pike - Lang How - Silver How - Loughrigg top - Miller Bridge - Rothay Bridge. Overcast, with multiple layers of cloud at various levels. No wind, a few minutes of light drizzle. Terrain damp and slippery. Quite a few walkers on Loughrigg, far fewer elsewhere. One fellow runner on Elterwater Common.

Again I wore all over waterproof kit - a warm core helps to keep my feet warm.

Master
    11.04 miles, 4,387 feet, 3 hours 43 minutes: Traveller's Rest - Bracken Hause - Helm Crag - Calf Crag - Steel Fell - Calf Crag - Bracken Hause - Traveller's Rest. Overcast, no distinct cloud base - the fells just faded with distance. Constant light to moderate rain. A very strong wind from the south west. Terrain saturated and slippery. I wasn't cold, despite the wind, but of course I had all over waterproof kit on. Only two others seen whilst I was out, and they were low down.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Meanwhile, down in Leicestershire, where it hasn't rained for a week, the footpaths are mostly dry.
    Last Sunday I did what I think was my first walk in that county. The stream crossing on the path round the NW corner of Felicity's Wood was "interesting".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    Last Sunday I did what I think was my first walk in that county. The stream crossing on the path round the NW corner of Felicity's Wood was "interesting".
    Crossing the stream itself is quite straightforward: either the stepping stones are above the water level, or you get wet feet. What is more interesting is the few metres of mud along the stream bank to get from the crossing point to the start of the path through the wood.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Re-reading your post, gej, I realise that you weren't on the path into Felicity's Wood (which crosses the stream at the NE corner), but on the main path which crosses it further west; in which case the comment about stepping stones is still valid, but not the one about the mud along the bank.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges