Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Borrowdale

novice

Borrowdale

My main aim for 2008 was to complete Windgather Fell Race as per the post attached

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...7546#post87546

I’ve done that and made it round in one piece. So I’m happy in that I achieved my main aim for this year however what far exceeded this in terms of enjoyment was kentmere. An amazing route and quite humbling when you stand at the bottom and can see the whole route in front of you. I much more enjoy the on “all fours” ascents and knarly down hills compared to the slog it out nature of Windgather
    What Kentmere confirmed is that I want to do more races in the lakes so I’m already thinking of next year and have decided I want to have a crack at Borrowdale and Three Shires.
    So my question is what is the best way to train for Borrowdale? Is it time on feet, climbing, running the distance or all three? I think my biggest challenge will be time on feet, as I have never run for more than 2.5 hrs, so are some outings of 5 hours walking/ running irrespective of acsent going to be any use? Or should I focus on getting a lot of ascending under my belt?
    My training ability will be limited to local peak district stuff due to family commitments so little opportunity to go up to the lakes before hand.
    Many thanks in advance

PS this has been my first year doing fell races and apart from Kentmere the other highlight has been Lambs Longer Leg which is the most fun I’ve had over three miles anywhere. The descent into dimpus clough is just brilliant

Re: Borrowdale

Welcome to the wonderful world of fell running!

I did the Three Shires as a first ever fell raca in Sept 2006 and Borrowdale the following summer (!!)

I think a lot of it depends on your aims and perspectives - for me it's taking part/finishing and a sense of acheivement - I'm never going to be quick or threaten any records but it's all about getting out there.

HOWEVER, As far as Borrowdale and the majority of the Lakeland classics IMHO I think experience counts for a lot.

Yes - you can up your mileage, yes you can train on the hills and that indeed will get you round but there is nothing more satisfying than navigating your way off a mountain top in the the thick clag with a following of runners who couldn't be bothered to learn how to read a map or use a compass.

Fell running on these races is a far cry from following the crowd of a trail race say so if you can I'd certainly recommend at least trying to familarise yourself with the area whether that be getting up there at least once or twice proir or pouring yourself over a map and recognising/marking the route and checkpoints etc.

I'm sure there will be lots of useful advice to follow though!

i'm a newbie to racing, and all i can say is get up on the hills as much as possible long and short runs, steep ascents and descents, muddy and wet the more the better and its just pure fun. And dare i say it, road runs just to keep generally fit (i hate road runs, but i'm, an hour from hills so cant trudge em everyday). most of my hilly runs are up to four hours , get out on some recces with people, they are as much about the social as training. Oh, and as emi said navigation, you never know when you'll be by yourself

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Can't find this one in the FRA calendar for 2008. When abouts is/was it?

Looking ahead to next year and want to include as many of the Lakeland classics as possible. Need to know what time of year this is.

Anyone?
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Can't find this one in the FRA calendar for 2008. When abouts is/was it?

Looking ahead to next year and want to include as many of the Lakeland classics as possible. Need to know what time of year this is.

Anyone?
    It's always the first saturday in August - it was a champs race this year so all back to normal in 2009!

Fab party afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    It's always the first saturday in August - it was a champs race this year so all back to normal in 2009!

Fab party afterwards

Bloody holiday!!!

Bloody holiday!!!
    i'll go party in your stead bud

Bloody holiday!!!
    You and your holidays - it's just your lame excuse for not putting those cases away isn't it!

You and your holidays - it's just your lame excuse for not putting those cases away isn't it!
    Just in case you think I'm spoilt, it's still the same holiday. It's just wiped out another race I was hoping to do. Never mind...

novice

Welcome to the wonderful world of fell running!

I did the Three Shires as a first ever fell raca in Sept 2006 and Borrowdale the following summer (!!)

I think a lot of it depends on your aims and perspectives - for me it's taking part/finishing and a sense of acheivement - I'm never going to be quick or threaten any records but it's all about getting out there.

HOWEVER, As far as Borrowdale and the majority of the Lakeland classics IMHO I think experience counts for a lot.

Yes - you can up your mileage, yes you can train on the hills and that indeed will get you round but there is nothing more satisfying than navigating your way off a mountain top in the the thick clag with a following of runners who couldn't be bothered to learn how to read a map or use a compass.

Fell running on these races is a far cry from following the crowd of a trail race say so if you can I'd certainly recommend at least trying to familarise yourself with the area whether that be getting up there at least once or twice proir or pouring yourself over a map and recognising/marking the route and checkpoints etc.

I'm sure there will be lots of useful advice to follow though!

Thanks for the advice, my motivations are to get round in one piece and enjoy myself. I'm under no illusions about winning anything. When I did Kentmere I was in the top half initially and then started getting passed by the old, infirm and I imagine even the lame. It didn't distract from the fun however.

If you don't mind me asking when you did the Borrowdale race what sort of running did you do before hand?

Improving my navigation is my other goal for 2009