Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Weight Training

Re: Weight Training

No. Power is not the product of speed and strength. If I push against the 2000kg car that I can't move, the power according to your definition would be zero. Why? Because the speed of the car is zero. Any quantity x zero=0. That would imply that exertion up to 1999kg, requires no power because the car didn't move. Ridiculase!

If the sloth stopped burning energy(power) in it's limbs, it wouldn't still hang there due to it's strength.

See what I mean about strength depending on power and not vice versa?[/QUOTE]

Chris,
    You know full well we are discussing the intermuscular muscular power you can generate against an external resistance. The burning of energy at an intramuscular level is not the same type of mechanical power we are discusssing. If you want to discuss ATP synthesis and action potentials (metabolic power) we can do this on another thread as you are interchanging these very different things to suit your answer.

Chris you are clearly into your research and credit to you. I urge you to look at how strength and power are tested at the top level of sports science. I can guarantee you that tests for power will place a large emphasis on speed against an external resistance. I can also guarantee you that strength tests will invove maximum resistance against an external resistance. One such test that you may find for strength measures force production against a static dynometer i.e no speed measured.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    I don't think I agree with this definition. It implies that a one rep max, has nothing to do with muscular endurance.
    er no it doesnt, because it is in the definition.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scott View Post
    No. Power is not the product of speed and strength. If I push against the 2000kg car that I can't move, the power according to your definition would be zero. Why? Because the speed of the car is zero. Any quantity x zero=0. That would imply that exertion up to 1999kg, requires no power because the car didn't move. Ridiculase!

If the sloth stopped burning energy(power) in it's limbs, it wouldn't still hang there due to it's strength.

See what I mean about strength depending on power and not vice versa?
    Chris,
    You know full well we are discussing the intermuscular muscular power you can generate against an external resistance. The burning of energy at an intramuscular level is not the same type of mechanical power we are discusssing. If you want to discuss ATP synthesis and action potentials (metabolic power) we can do this on another thread as you are interchanging these very different things to suit your answer.

Chris you are clearly into your research and credit to you. I urge you to look at how strength and power are tested at the top level of sports science. I can guarantee you that tests for power will place a large emphasis on speed against an external resistance. I can also guarantee you that strength tests will invove maximum resistance against an external resistance. One such test that you may find for strength measures force production against a static dynometer i.e no speed measured.[/QUOTE]

Mr Scott,or should I call you Sarah Rowell? Your answer is incoherent!

P.S This post is a bit out of synch, only the last sentence is mine.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scott View Post
    er no it doesnt, because it is in the definition.
    You're stealing My style. Go back and read what you typed again. Particularly the bit about 'sub-maximal' and 'repetitions.'

You're stealing My style. Go back and read what you typed again. Particularly the bit about 'sub-maximal' and 'repetitions.'
    Chris or should I call you Tony Blair; nice dodge.

Have re-read my definition and still stand by it.

Angry Re: Weight Training

Chris,

Chris you are clearly into your research and credit to you. I urge you to look at how strength and power are tested at the top level of sports science. I can guarantee you that tests for power will place a large emphasis on speed against an external resistance. I can also guarantee you that strength tests will invove maximum resistance against an external resistance. One such test that you may find for strength measures force production against a static dynometer i.e no speed measured.
    Thats what I meant when I first posted.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Since being crocked I've been working a lot with the weights in my garage. I've been very pleased with the results.

So much so, that I've been moved to post a picture of me online. What do you think?

http://www.coopersguns.com/gun-show/

Bringing out the big guns!!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Since being crocked I've been working a lot with the weights in my garage. I've been very pleased with the results.

So much so, that I've been moved to post a picture of me online. What do you think?

http://www.coopersguns.com/gun-show/

Bringing out the big guns!!
    never knew you had been injured since 2006 nor did you still have your youthful looks
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

this thread was quite good till around post 19 shame it was reading quite well...

Chris,

Mr Scott,or should I call you Sarah Rowell? Your answer is incoherent!

P.S This post is a bit out of synch, only the last sentence is mine.
    hmm so why didn't yee edit it correctly then