Page 219 of 304 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229269 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 3034

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    It grips my **** that these organisations, of which Lakeland Trails is one of many, who seem to get permissions for their money making ventures in our National Parks whilst many small, voluntary run village races have fallen by the wayside or have had had restrictions put on them.

When you read the PR that they put out about sustainability, environmental impact and cultural awareness it might look impressive but it is all bullshit.

The bottom line is that they are a registered company with a VAT number, making money out of our beautiful countryside.
    Even the 14k event is £34.50!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Even the 14k event is £34.50!
    Well lets hope that there are not going to be many follow this example :-

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2022...andalism-73043

Note the cost of The RAB Skiddaw vertical event during the Keswick mountain festival £47 for 8.8km or £5.34 per km.the saving grace here is it includes entry to the festival

In any case why just single out running events there are a myriad of organisations making money out of the outdoors and nature and if you don`t like what they do then don`t patronise them that way they will disappear simple really
    Last edited by JohnK; 10-07-2022 at 09:43 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    9.05 miles, 2,216 feet, 2 hours 34 minutes: Loughrigg trails, including Fishgarths Wood, Todd Crag, Lily Tarn, Loughrigg top, and down to the road at High Close. Initially there was an inversion, but the valley mist soon melted away leaving sunshine with thin high clouds. A warm breeze from the south. No rain - terrain dry with good grip. Lots of walkers on the main paths, and I saw three fellow runners.

A growling barking dog blocked my way on a narrow path in Fishgarths Wood. It was ignoring its owner's attempts to call it to heel. I stood still with my hands in front of my thighs, so it could come and sniff my hands if it wanted to. Its owner told me to keep walking - I did as I was told but quickly stopped as the dog became even more aggressive. Eventually the owner caught up with his dog - and told me off for making things worse by standing still. Yep, definitely my fault.

Enjoying your daily photos Mike!

I'll be in Ambleside a week on friday around lunchtime... Will most likely do an easy run out... Red Screes via Scandale, then back down the ridge, or something similar... very steady.

More than welcome to join me.... of course if you prefer morning running, or running alone, then no problem at all... i don't wish to intrude on your enjoyment....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Enjoying your daily photos Mike!

I'll be in Ambleside a week on friday around lunchtime... Will most likely do an easy run out... Red Screes via Scandale, then back down the ridge, or something similar... very steady.

More than welcome to join me.... of course if you prefer morning running, or running alone, then no problem at all... i don't wish to intrude on your enjoyment....
    Thanks for the offer Travs, but my slow pace would bore you to tears - and yes, I do like to get out well before lunchtime. Having said that I may end up descending to Scandale from Dove Crag and then ascending Red Screes and you may well overtake me.

Glad you like the photos.

No worries....

Actually i was looking last night at going up the Fairfield Horseshoe a/cw route to Dove Crag instead, then dropping into Scandale - Red Screes. Seems around 8 miles which is a perfect slow runout before Old Crown Round.... and i don't think i've ever dropped into Scandale that way (have climbed out that way many times of course).

Doubt i'll be starting off before midday or 1 though, so i expect you'll be about finished before i start!
    Last edited by Travs; 12-07-2022 at 07:49 AM.

Master
    12.37 miles, 3,882 feet, 4 hours 34 minutes: Elterwater Common - Silver How - Lang How - Swinescar Pike - Blea Rigg - Sergeant Man - then back more or less the way I had come, apart from dropping down towards Easedale Tarn and back up again - the final couple of hundred yards before the tarn was blocked by bracken. Overcast, with some of the tops obscured by cloud banks. Hazy in the distance. No rain - terrain mainly dry, but damp and slippery in places. A moderate breeze from the south. I met one runner just below Sergeant Man. Apart from him I did not meet anybody until on/after Silver How the second time - there were about a dozen walkers. I could hear people enjoying themselves at Easedale Tarn, but I could not see them.
    Last edited by Mike T; 12-07-2022 at 02:24 PM.

Master
    11.54 miles, 3,280 feet, 3 hours 31 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Miller Bridge - Low Sweden Bridge - rock step - Low/High Pikes - High Bakestones - Scandale - Red Screes - Golden Rule - Miller Bridge - Rothay Bridge. Sunshine and high clouds, a cool breeze from the north west. No rain - terrain dry with good grip. I saw only 5 walkers on the fells; 2 runners were starting up the Struggle just as I passed The Golden Rule.

Master
    7.3 miles, 2,593 feet, 2 hours 48 minutes: NDG - Stickle Tarn - North Rake - Thunacar Knott - High Raise - Sergeant Man - Blea Rigg - Stickle Tarn - NDG. Initially overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,700 feet, later it became rather sunny. Intermittent drizzle/light rain. A moderate breeze from the west. Terrain dry/damp/wet; the rocks in particular were slippery. Quite a few walkers about, some in large groups; I saw 2 fellow runners, or it might have been the same chap twice.

I was swooped by a pair of seagulls near Stickle Tarn - unlike the Winterseeds buzzard, they did not get close enough to hear their wings, and they also squawked whilst swooping, so I had plenty of warning.

Master
    13.06 miles, 3,427 feet, 3 hours 59 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe c/w from Rothay Bridge, going over the 3 tops on the way up, keeping to the left on the Fairfield plateau, going over both Hart and Dove Crags, then crossing the wall and keeping it on my left until crossing it again just above the rock step, which I went around, and then I stayed on the rough track rather than going back up and under the rock step - too much wet bracken. Overcast, with the cloud base initially at about 1,000 feet; rather higher later. More or less continuous drizzle/light rain; a moderate wind from the west. Rocks, in particular, very slippery. I saw a bout 30 walkers on the fell, mainly in large groups, and 1 fellow runner.

This was the first time in ages that I have used the rough track that you naturally end up on if you go around the rock step - it is as rough and trippy/slippy as I remember.

I had planned on adding in Scandale/Red Screes but it was rather cold in the rain/wind.