Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st LONG 'A' RACE

Re: 1st LONG 'A' RACE

Langdale is the superior race-much more interesting route, especially if you like fast slippy silly descents at the end

And what about the Full Tour of Pendle in November!
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Its been a while since I've done either but, off the top of my head, I'd say Langdale is much harder under foot. Contouring below Bow Fell (I think!!?) is tricky. 3Shires is more runable!....Langdale has Old Dungeon Gill pub!!! ........and pies if I recall!

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Its been a while since I've done either but, off the top of my head, I'd say Langdale is much harder under foot. Contouring below Bow Fell (I think!!?) is tricky. 3Shires is more runable!....Langdale has Old Dungeon Gill pub!!! ........and pies if I recall!
    It's the side of Esk Pike with the nasty contouring section.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    It's the side of Esk Pike with the nasty contouring section.
    Yes that's right, isn't it. Just after the Esk Hause Shelter. The spot where I felt like I was going backwards the amount of people who skipped past me.

yeah no both areas fairly well geoff but not the race routes gona have to recce them deffo
    was kind of leaning towards doing langdale??

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger+Out View Post
    The other AL I could think of is the Sedburgh Hills but you may not want to do that as it's a championship race this year.
    Bloody awful race full of road runners, not a rock in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger+Out View Post
    Whichever you decide to do make sure you get plenty of recce's in - try and get round the full route at least 2 or 3 times. You need to make sure you have the stamina for those last few miles - and both races have a sting in the tail!
    For pity's sake, why on earth would anyone need to recce a race that many times unless they thought there was a good chance they could win it. Why not just have a good look where it goes on a map and maybe do one or two of the trickier bits if you are that worried about it. If all 400 entries went round that many times the route would be a valley run, not a fell run!

What are the general thoughts on recce? I've been contemplating my first AL race and I was planning to turn up and run and follow everyone else like I have in the AM and BL races I've done. Did the kinder trog at the weekend and spend a good while looking at the route on google earth beforehand and the OS and for 95% of the time I could see the person in front, where I couldn't I, remembered where to go. Obviously I would have pulled out the map if I got lost.

I'm going to do the 3 peaks next year and have no plans to recce, just gonna turn up and run, is that daft?

Quote Originally Posted by djglover View Post
    What are the general thoughts on recce?
    I'm going to do the 3 peaks next year and have no plans to recce, just gonna turn up and run, is that daft?
    Like a lot of things - it depends, not the most useful answer I know. It depends on how well you know the area, things like that. Other than distance and height gain per mile there isn't usually much difference between the categories, you might have an AS route that has trickier navigation for example. The calendar usually indicates if local knowledge or navigational ability are required though take it with a pinch of salt - the Jack Bloor race on Ilkley moor didn't used to list nav required but the Ilkley moor race did yet the latter was flagged!

Unless you wish to put in a fast time and want to know micro lines then I wouldn't bother reccying the 3 peaks, some sections are only open on race day anyway, as it's mostly on good tracks and you will be in a long line of runners with little or no chance of getting lost (famous last words!)
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djglover View Post
    What are the general thoughts on recce? I've been contemplating my first AL race and I was planning to turn up and run and follow everyone else like I have in the AM and BL races I've done. Did the kinder trog at the weekend and spend a good while looking at the route on google earth beforehand and the OS and for 95% of the time I could see the person in front, where I couldn't I, remembered where to go. Obviously I would have pulled out the map if I got lost.

YES, that's the right attitude!

As Bob says, there is no real difference between longs and mediums. So long as you have a rough idea of the geography, which you can get from maps, and where you are supposed to go, there is no reason why you shouldn't turn up to any race without recceing it. Just try and follow the people in front and keep an eye on where you are, so that if you do get lost in clag you have a reasonable chance of getting back on route.