Page 519 of 553 FirstFirst ... 19419469509517518519520521529 ... LastLast
Results 5,181 to 5,190 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Banned
    North east have always been the best supporters of their team and travel the most miles

Derby County get their support from not only Derby but the county of Derbyshire even though many fans live nearer to Sheffield or Manchester. It helps that they are the only club from Derbyshire in the football league,now that Chesterfield have, and continue, to plummet.

It is more akin to the cricket supporters who predominantly support their county!

Swansea and Cardiff also have a high local support.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    North east have always been the best supporters of their team and travel the most miles
    I would have thought Sunderland must have a very high proportion of local support. And they have a lot of it considering their current lowly status.

I would recommend watching the Netflix documentary “Sunderland till I die”. I’m no particular fan of theirs but you’d have to have a heart of stone not to feel a bit of sympathy for the way last season ended for them. Still, most of us have been there. My wife doesn’t particularly like football but even she was gripped by the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    But Stoke are above:-

Watford
    Burnley
    Bournemouth

All piss poor attendees of prem teams
    piss poor!

We get capacity every game unless the away end is down. But I would never claim to have the most support, or even the most loyal.
    Many of the Burnley fans can turn nasty if we lose one home game!

On capacity though, it has been discussed. The board have spent much of the Dyche period building up the playing/training infrastructure. It's what Dyche wanted and it is probably the right way to go. Hopefully in the coming years we will see other youngsters come through like McNeil.

We will be a yo-yo club. To pretend otherwise and try and build capacity at the moment would leave us like Bolton or Wigan. They have made some stand improvements in the last 12 months, but minor ones.

The away club fans that stand out to me are Newcastle, Wolves, Man City. City and Wolves in the lower divisions could still get 30,000. I think Leeds similar.

But all 4 of them clubs have another thing in common - they in general carry huge chips on their shoulders.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

The away club fans that stand out to me are Newcastle, Wolves, Man City. City and Wolves in the lower divisions could still get 30,000. I think Leeds similar.
    Leeds average over 35,000 this season. Capacity these days is only 37,000 and the only reason it is not full every game is because of the away section not selling out.

But all 4 of them clubs have another thing in common - they in general carry huge chips on their shoulders.
    Wolves???
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Yes i think it's a bit harsh on Watford/Burnley/Bournemouth to say their support is piss-poor...

Doesn't Burnley have a population of less than 100k....? Makes their 15-20k attendances a lot more impressive.

Agreed on the north-east clubs and impressive numbers. SUnderland, Newcastle with fantastic away numbers. And i think Middlesborough had traditionally the highest home attendances in the country in proportion to their population.

However i think there's a difference between biggest and best... my experience of both Sunderland and Newcastle away followings over a long period of time is that they are followed by a huge number of absolute morons (i'm sure Sunderland especially hold the same view of Coventry though).

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Wolves???
    Certainly. With the Portuguese influx, they seem to think they are like Barcelona - in disguise I have to say if they are

They certainly know how to play out a 0-0
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Certainly. With the Portuguese influx, they seem to think they are like Barcelona - in disguise I have to say if they are

They certainly know how to play out a 0-0
    Like Barcelona? OK I'll settle for that.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I think Wolves have the best home atmosphere in this country. Most home supporters are pretty quiet unless it's a local derby.

Been to some places which are supposedly hostile places to go, such as Elland Road and Brammall Lane, and been distinctly underwhelmed (although i guess a home match vs Coventry hardly got their passions flowing!)