Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Borrowdale Recce

The foothills of the Lake District (English)

Re: Borrowdale Recce

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    thanks to graeme for showing us the route off gable to by pass windy gap
    nice one thanks mate
    was it 60/67/77/80 degrees , who knows ??????
    Your Welcome Daz, I just hope the clag isn't down and everyone finds it on the race day. I reckon it was about 15 degrees, but probably a little less when it started to rain. Cheers for letting me tag along even living round here there's always something to learn

Should get out next week sometime and recce Green Gable to Honister again. Got a pretty good route off Grey Knotts but it isn't that direct and I think there's a better one

Did everyone get up and over Dalehead before the rain hit?

Thanks Huwski for top tips on the Scafell leg, DS was very pleased to hear about your boulder aviodance tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    Thanks Huwski for top tips on the Scafell leg, DS was very pleased to hear about your boulder aviodance tactics.
    What? where?

Great day out, good to see everyone again, and some new faces too.

Had to come home this afternoon but heading back up midweek for a trot if anyone's around.

It was nice to meet everyone yesterday It's a tough course so it was nice to run with company. Thanks to whoever it was who gave the the gel (I can't remember your name) - much apprecitaed - it certaintly helped.

It was definately a good idea to continue to Honister rather than quitting at Sty head

Grand day out hurray...

Well I managed to get lost as a results of gassing (as usual)!

Can't say I enjoyed the down hills. Felt like a cripple down the corridor route with my ankle (moan moan) but strong as an ox on the cliimbs.... bring on bg round next year.

Too many bearings/route options folks....and I am still pretty confused as to certain sections.

I will pray for a nice day....

Nice to chat with owmeknee, Daz H Stuart (awright mate), Sunnyside and Always Injured. ...oh ..and the ICT teacher. Hi!

Thanks as usual to H and Coopy for their navigational expertise. Nice one.
    Last edited by moo; 22-07-2007 at 02:59 PM.

Master and MR

Your Welcome Daz, I just hope the clag isn't down and everyone finds it on the race day. I reckon it was about 15 degrees, but probably a little less when it started to rain. Cheers for letting me tag along even living round here there's always something to learn

Should get out next week sometime and recce Green Gable to Honister again. Got a pretty good route off Grey Knotts but it isn't that direct and I think there's a better one

i managed to just about run dale head only cos moo had given me some liqurice allsorts , 50mtrs to the summit and i bit of bertie bassets head to give me the final push.

Is your route over the stile at Grey Knotts then bearing left on a faint path that leads to a ridge by the stream just before Honister slate mine car park?

Any ideas on the better line

Bill

alwaysinjured

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    i managed to just about run dale head only cos moo had given me some liqurice allsorts , 50mtrs to the summit and i bit of bertie bassets head to give me the final push.

THEY WERE MY LIQUORICE ALLSORTS

Moo blackmailed me into handing them over in return for the keys to the car!

alwaysinjured

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Is your route over the stile at Grey Knotts then bearing left on a faint path that leads to a ridge by the stream just before Honister slate mine car park?

Any ideas on the better line

Bill
    This is what I do.

Go just left of the fence line on a well worn trod used by the BG routes ( so over the stile before you get to GN). then the moment you hit the col between the two tops you aim dead N which very quickly arrives at a spongy fast grass descent and tthen arc round just left of the quarry (more NW) I do that because the ground is seriously fast and pleasant under foot.

Just make sure you do start turning towards the quarry in a long arc- last time I came down too straight and hit the lower reaches of the path which is cr*p

The "straight on" path which is further right is IMHO a lot harder under foot

alwaysinjured

Did you misread the question HD?

15/17 degrees is the dead reckon scafell pike to the scree gully

66/67 is the bearing on the fast route off gable.

15 degrees of gable would send you plummeting down Gable crag, which is E grade rocklimbing!!!

DOZY S*D I am, I ve just realised he was talking about the temperature!
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 22-07-2007 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    This is what I do.

Go just left of the fence line on a well worn trod used by the BG routes ( so over the stile before you get to GN). then the moment you hit the col between the two tops you aim dead N which very quickly arrives at a spongy fast grass descent and tthen arc round just left of the quarry (more NW) I do that because the ground is seriously fast and pleasant under foot.

Just make sure you do start turning towards the quarry in a long arc- last time I came down too straight and hit the lower reaches of the path which is cr*p

The "straight on" path which is further right is IMHO a lot harder under foot
    Thanks will try it tonight

Bill