Page 50 of 172 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Haworth Hobble

Re: Howarth Hobble 2010

Might be a silly Q, but given that its been dry last 2 weeks, is it potentially OK to use road shoes for this rather than trail shoes? OK this might be anathema to you hardy fell runner types, but my road shoes perform quite well in wet/mud, and if its not going to be overly muddy or rough going, I may gambol on using them.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

I will be staggering round this slowly after being the car park attendant, so see you all Saturday.

I have the route plotted on Tracklogs, which I reckon is pretty accurate. Distance is 32 miles, ascent 5,381 feet.

I'll be there to cheer you on, take pictures and help out as best I can (still injured).

Looking forward to Saturday. Glad I caught up with the thread to note change of venue although I would normally park further up the hill and walk down. Should now be able to park at school. Hope to do better than last time (2008) when I just scraped inside 8 hours. Running solo but plan to tag on with YJ and NLN (Mrs Charters) for first 12 miles. Hopefully recent improvements and loss of a few pounds will result in my knees keeping quiet during the descent into Hebden Bridge (they usually scream and curse at me which comes out as an echo from my mouth).

What's all this talk about a map? Do you need one? Won't do you any good when the locals swallow you up in the Bermuda Triangle

Hope they've got plenty of fruitcake at the final checkpoint and should I have onions with my hotdog (assuming they are ready at the CP unlike 2008).

Quote Originally Posted by Toyota_Crown View Post
    Might be a silly Q, but given that its been dry last 2 weeks, is it potentially OK to use road shoes for this rather than trail shoes? OK this might be anathema to you hardy fell runner types, but my road shoes perform quite well in wet/mud, and if its not going to be overly muddy or rough going, I may gambol on using them.
    Interesting question especially as the distance can take a toll on your joints - shock absorption can be important and there is fair share of road in it. I expect to stick with mudclaws rather than my walking shoes which I have considered.
    Last edited by GordonS; 11-03-2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Haworth Hobble 2010

Is it possible to edit the original subject line - it's Haworth not Howarth - might cause searches to fail.

I've corrected it on my reply - don't know if it will hold the change.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonS View Post
    Looking forward to Saturday. Glad I caught up with the thread to note change of venue although I would normally park further up the hill and walk down. Should now be able to park at school. Hope to do better than last time (2008) when I just scraped inside 8 hours. Running solo but plan to tag on with YJ and NLN (Mrs Charters) for first 12 miles. Hopefully recent improvements and loss of a few pounds will result in my knees keeping quiet during the descent into Hebden Bridge (they usually scream and curse at me which comes out as an echo from my mouth).

What's all this talk about a map? Do you need one? Won't do you any good when the locals swallow you up in the Bermuda Triangle

Hope they've got plenty of fruitcake at the final checkpoint and should I have onions with my hotdog (assuming they are ready at the CP unlike 2008).
    I think the map they are referring to is the one mentioned as equipment you must carry on the entry form, along with a mug if you want a drink.

Luckily I have volunteered to do on the line kit checks this year.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    I think the map they are referring to is the one mentioned as equipment you must carry on the entry form, along with a mug if you want a drink.

Thanks for the mug reminder Paul. I was wrong about you. You do have a use on here after all
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Thanks for the mug reminder Paul. I was wrong about you. You do have a use on here after all
    Its good that one of us has

On a more serious note I have marshalled at the back end a few times and seen the state some people have come in to the CP desperately needing water but unable to have any cos there are no plastic cups left cos everyone else has taken them, and then had comments because of it. A light cup or mug could be all that's between you and early retirement so its worth bringing.
    Last edited by Antisocial; 12-03-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post

Always carry the full map on the Hobble even though luckily it's not been taken out in the past 20 years.
    And I must perfect the technique of having your cup available for ease of use.