Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The lost art of navigation?

Re: The lost art of navigation

OS maps though don't show runners trods and the green dotted lines are just the public rights of way so merely by following paths marked on maps you can just end up going the 'boring' way . And no green dotted lines appear on OS maps of the Scottish Highlands at all do they so, up there, its only by covering the ground that you know what the trails are like or even if they exist (well that or buying a mountain walks guide book ). That said I just love exploring - looking at a map before the off, doing my best to remember a few features and then just bash off out (without the map) and see how I get on and what I find out.

I think I've more or less done the whole of the south and south west of the Yorkshire Dales this way, since moving to Settle 5 years ago. Nowadays I like to think that I know the whole shebang, and everything in between, encircled by a line going west from Skipton to Settle and Ingleton, then north via Gragareth and Great Coum to Dent, north east to Great Knoutberry, Dodd Fell, Great Shunner Fell, much of Wendsleydale east of Hawes, the Fleet Moss and Middle Tongue ridgeline above Langstrothdale, Buckden Pike and Great Whernside, Capplestone Gate, the top end of Nidderdale, the Dales way from Kettlewell to Grassington, south west via Appletreewick to Simon's Seat, south west to Beamsley Beacon and back towards to Skipton over Skipton Moor and High Bradley Moor. At a guess that must be 500 square miles and I pretty much know all the paths, trods, waterfalls, trigs, summits, rivers, becks and nooks of crannies of the lot
    Last edited by Stolly; 22-08-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    OS maps though don't show runners trods and the green dotted lines are just the public rights of way so merely by following paths marked on maps you can just end up going the 'boring' way . And no green dotted lines appear on OS maps of the Scottish Highlands at all do they so, up there, its only by covering the ground that you know what the trails are like or even if they exist (well that or buying a mountain walks guide book ). That said I just love exploring - looking at a map before the off, doing my best to remember a few features and then just bash off out (without the map) and see how I get on and what I find out.
    I didn't say I stick to the green dotted lines when I'm using a map, but even when I'm going straight over trackless moorland it's nice to know what features to look out for (presumably the reason you look at the map before the off) to reassure myself I'm not going in completely the wrong direction nor likely to fall off a cliff edge.:w00t:
    Sadly not all of us have the time or opportunity to get to know such extensive areas as you have managed, but I agree it's an excellent thing if you can.

Please note a Green Dotted Line does not mean that they will be a path on the ground, so be careful and look at all the features.
    Stephen Batley Skyrac AC,
    Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-Bound

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    .... swathes ...
    great word

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    One of our Pennine members got asked during a long welsh race by an Eryri runner which way is it? So I am not so sure your methodology is foolproof
    Its a risky tactic.. which is always the followers fault should it backfire.. but we've all done it.. I followed Christopher Leigh around Kinder Low on the Trog recently..

Especially following Eryri vests.. its a huge area the club cover so most runners won't actually be from central snowdonia and general experience in many runners is pretty low in my experiences..

In general the route knowledge on the peak of DPFR or the Pennine runners who are around me in races is pretty top notch.. even in races like the Tiggor Tor.. pretty simple nav but loads of little trods through tricky ground which can shave off a few minutes..

Anyway can cloud really affect GPS? never heard that.. I thought GPS was a mechanical aid? therefore banned under UKA rules, like sticks? They are also pacing devices so banned under other rules so we often can't wear them at international events like the 100k's...

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    In general the route knowledge on the peak of DPFR or the Pennine runners who are around me in races is pretty top notch..
    Iain, being near the front of the pack it is likely the guys around you will know what they are doing, so I suppose it is less of a risk. I will be doing Peris this year and while I have been a keen hill walker in Snowdonia for many years, so have a pretty good idea of the layout of the land, it is quite different to optimal route choice in a race. I will not get a chance to reccie the route so it could be an interesting day out.

What color is the Eryri top?

Can you learn how to take a compass bearing online?

Quote Originally Posted by TheReverand View Post
    Can you learn how to take a compass bearing online?
    Yes by buying this book at amazon.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Nav.../dp/1871890551

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Iain, being near the front of the pack it is likely the guys around you will know what they are doing, so I suppose it is less of a risk.
    You'd have thought so :-)... Jura back in 2009 suggested otherwise.. I think I was leading at one point.. I think Holmsey overtook me on every pap.. and the eventual 'winner' finished with one extra tag and was subsequently disqualified for missing out the final summit..

If I'm around give us a shout or message me with any route issues with the paddy.. but most of it is pretty well known now..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    If I'm around give us a shout or message me with any route issues with the paddy..
    No, it is the Peris Horseshoe I am doing not the Paddy Buckley, but having said that I would love to have a got at the Paddy. Speaking to Wardy last Thursday he was saying it is a much better route than the BG.