Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Utmb

UTMB Equipment/shoes?

What's everyone wearing? Don't want to clash..

I was thinking of the Sportiva Crosslites, they role a bit but are great in that they can cope with all terrain from fell to road.

Also what size rucksack?

I was considering the Soloman Raid lite, I think it's a small 20L, it's comfy and has waist pockets.

Still undecided on the poles, change my mind every day. I'm thinking of re-doing the 'Gelert Bounds' with poles and seeing what the difference is.

Cheers

Iain

Re: UTMB Equipment/shoes?

unless it's been wet - IMO you don't really need much grip. I'm sure marco olmo won it in a pair of road shoes last year. I go for a good combination of cushioning and support - montrail hardrocks or contintental divides. I remember thinking last year that the majority of the route is really hard so I was glad with the extra cushioning. Neutral runners seem to be going with Inov-8 roclites.
    Rucksac - I'm taking the omm last drop that I used last year - if the weather is fine you don't need to carry much - I'm think al powell ran round with a bumbag.
    Poles - big question for me also. I'm off for a reccie in a couple of weeks and I might use them - although I've never used them before therefore it might be too late to start. Maybe I'll get some of those raidlight fold up ones and only use them on the last third of the race. Not long now!

I am going to try it in road shoes. Last time (2005) the trails were hard up until GC Ferret, and then they would have been slippy no matter what foot wear you had on, maybe apart from Fell racing shoes. It was thick mud in parts due to a few hours of rain.
    I am going to put in some Montrail Hardrocks for the stop at Cormayeur just in case I feel that I need to change. I worry a little about the lack of toe protection on road shoes! If you do have a change of shoes make them a size bigger than normal. This will allow for any swelling/expansion of your feet.
    I agree with the rucsack choice. I will be using a Soloman Raid Revo 20.
    I never used poles last time, and I wont this time. I'm sure that if you are good at using them you would be more efficient and probably faster. But I have never like them. On the run you will get a bit annoyed by there mass appeal, and the fact that people with them are at times hard to pass. They seem to be much more widely used in Europe. If I could use them (like you Iain) I may start thinking along the lines of, if you can't beat them, might as well join them.

I'll be using some out and out trail running shoes: my Vasque Velocity VSTs. I did the Old County Tops in these this year and they were fine for Lake District paths (and the odd grassy slope), so they should be no problem on UTMB.

I'll have my OMM 20L rucksack (I find the 10L last drop one uncomfortable for longer distances and would rather pad out a bigger rucksack than take a smaller uncomfortable one).

My opinion is that if you haven't used poles before, it's a bit late to start (in time for UTMB). I think that the people who are using them effectively have a refined method to their use of the poles. If you aren't using them effectively, then I think you're just carrying extra weight and I doubt they have much effect. But at the end of the day, anything goes.

I used montrail hardrocks last year which are very comfy but I find them too heavy. will probably go for something lighter this year and put the hardrocks in the champex bag. I used poles and if you have the right technique they can propel you up the hills but they do require much more use of energy and this year I'm going to forget them until champex, when I'll have them in case my knees give up on me or I get shin splints again. I bought a 20l raidlight sack last time which is excellent but its hard to get anything out of the pockets without stopping as I find it rests very high up on me and the pockets are not far enough forward.

I'm going to forget them until champex, when I'll have them in case my knees give up on me
    I thought it said poles weren't allowed in any of the bags? If you use them you have to carry them all the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Britta View Post
    I thought it said poles weren't allowed in any of the bags? If you use them you have to carry them all the way?
    ah - but I have my dear wife to bring them along

Great plan

I used Inov8 315s last year and they were great - no blisters at all.

The race is mostly over good tracks so grip is not a big issue. Comfort and cushioning are much more of a priority than traction.

I took poles last year - I'd never tried them before the race, nor have I ever used them since but I got them out after around 25 miles and never put them away again - I thought they were fantastic and if I do it again I'd definitely take them.

I used a 15 litre Karrimor pack which was perfect - whatever you take must be comfy over a long distance / time.

Inov8 315s for me too. I have gone up a size to allow for feet swelling. I also wear two pairs of thin socks and found this to be a recipe to sweet feet success - no blisters in any of my big runs so far. The are so comfy in fact I may have to get another pair as this pair may be a bit worn to start the race with.

I will take a little Deuter 10l rucksac if the conditions are reasonable.

I have poles but not realy crafted the technique of using them, but like FMA says they could be your helpful friend later on, when the knees/quads are burning up on the descents....