Page 4 of 303 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

I believe there's been some trouble on Pendle with folk from the towns coming out, ill-equipped and getting lost with Mountain Rescue and Police Helicopter involved.
    So it looks like Pendle is now on lock-down.
    If they just stopped parking, then it would be left to the locals of Barley, Sabden….

That being said, this from Derbyshire Police seems quite sinister.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/vi...lockdown-video

Curbar Edge is hardly remote and if I lived in Baslow or Carver I reckon I could be up there in 10-20 minutes quite legitimately and it would be a good option to go for a walk or run without breaking any guidelines.

I would even go as far as to suggest the cars might be there for valid reasons. My own daughter has been driving 5 minutes from home, just to get away from the local houses and roads, so she can get straight on to rural, open ground and have a walk.
    She is a PHD student working from home at the moment, doing lectures at a laptop screen and study work. When I mentioned that she shouldn't drive now to have a walk, she was perplexed. She felt a 5 minute drive to avoid others was responsible and allowed her to get somewhere she wasn't on edge.

So for someone from Chesterfield to head to Curnar Edge I'd say no.

But for someone from Baslow to chuck their dog in the back of the car and drive 5 minutes to commence a walk would seem reasonable to me.
    I would certainly expect the police to have something better to do than shame and threaten the people in this video and come up with a better way of discouraging people from driving an unreasonable distance to exercise.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Dave-Mole posted something on facebook which would indicate that the police do not actually have the authority (yet) to stop people driving somewhere to exercise.

I'm not posting an opinion either way, there's too many armchair experts. But i think people need to just be reasonable, and what is necessary and essential to one person, may appear totally unnecessary to another.

I know of 'someone' who drove a fair distance today to pick up some sporting equipment. Was that necessary? On the face of it , no... but that now means the person in question can now get their daily exercise without leaving the garage, thus reducing their contact with the outside world, and their parents of OAP age also now have an option to do some gentle exercise away from public eye.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I think I answered my own question in regards driving 3 or 4 miles to go for a run. Cycled that way this evening and police were blocking the road.
    As others have said, I'm sure I would meet far less people and be far easier to maintain some distance than plodding around my local roads and parks. Not sure the constabulary would agree so maybe I'll cycle there, have a short run and cycle back. Tri without the crap bit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Dave-Mole posted something on facebook which would indicate that the police do not actually have the authority (yet) to stop people driving somewhere to exercise.

I'm not posting an opinion either way, there's too many armchair experts. But i think people need to just be reasonable, and what is necessary and essential to one person, may appear totally unnecessary to another.

I know of 'someone' who drove a fair distance today to pick up some sporting equipment. Was that necessary? On the face of it , no... but that now means the person in question can now get their daily exercise without leaving the garage, thus reducing their contact with the outside world, and their parents of OAP age also now have an option to do some gentle exercise away from public eye.
    My guess is that piece of sporting equipment was a Decent spec treadmill no not necessary and potentially but hopefully not leathal for you or anybody you came into contact with.

Sorry to preach but the messages are crystal clear

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...eaton-17882557
    Last edited by JohnK; 26-03-2020 at 10:22 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

I've not been up to Curbar recently but it is on one of my summer evening cycle routes and on virtually every occasion cycling up the steep road to Curbar Gap I could hardly breathe for the clouds of cannabis smoke in the air. It seems to be the place the druggies, boy racers and other assorted halfwits flock to in good weather. The car park at the top of the Gap is also another meeting place for suchlike. It also allows walkers who only like it flat to have easy access to the edges and the beautiful views therefrom.

Being less than 10 miles from Sheffield and Chesterfield is is very accessible to a lot of people.

Apparently, after dusk, the car park is a popular dogging location!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 26-03-2020 at 10:53 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Banned
    Dog walking in the dark??

My Todays Permitted Exercise was a 40 mile and 4,000ft ride from home out to the Goyt Valley and The Cat and Fiddle, which by the way was due to re-open in April.
    About 20 cars parked near the reservoir but I only saw 4 people and a few fellow solo cyclist's.

What I have noticed is that in nearly every village I cycle through there are fat people waddling about whom are not usually there.

Perhaps this pandemic, when its over, might do wonders for the obesity crisis in getting more people to enjoy exercise but I shan't be holding my breath!

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Dog walking in the dark??
    This dog is not going to bite Stagger!

I posted a report that the Cabinet Office have said that the restrictions don't apply to exercise and dog walking.

You'd have thought I advocated spitting in the face of OAPs.

As WP has pointed out, it's hard to see how driving a few miles to somewhere with few people and no contact with "surfaces" could be worse than walking in a city centre park. BUT, it's also easy to see how people in the Lakes, Peak District etc are pissed off with people turning up in droves. Of course this is wrong, but, as per social media, the argument has just become polarized on both sides. Ho Hum.

sadly common sense isn't that common, and that applies to all sides here, including the Derbyshire police claiming posing for selfies is "not essential"
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    My guess is that piece of sporting equipment was a Decent spec treadmill no not necessary and potentially but hopefully not leathal for you or anybody you came into contact with.

Sorry to preach but the messages are crystal clear

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...eaton-17882557
    Fair enough... Yet "the person in question" spent 4 hours outside of the house, without coming into contact with anybody else... Say the lock down lasts another three weeks (very optimistic), they will save approximately 40 hours of time which would be spent out in public, that saving only increasing as the restrictions continue...

Im sure they felt that a minimum 1000% return on their time spent today is justified...