Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Peris Horseshoe

novice

peris horseshoe/half

I'm contemplating doing this - can anyone give me some route details for this and the half? Is it entry on standard FRA form or a sepecific one on Eryi website - can't find much about it

How tough is the full and how tough is the half - never run in North Wales so would all be new experience

Re: peris horseshoe/half

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    I'm contemplating doing this - can anyone give me some route details for this and the half? Is it entry on standard FRA form or a sepecific one on Eryi website - can't find much about it

How tough is the full and how tough is the half - never run in North Wales so would all be new experience
    Tough? Very tough. Serious terrain too, few races go through such serious terrain. Great races.

The half is around half that, hence the name :-), but it's less serious than the full which contains a few miles from Lliwedd to Snowdon which is very serious terrain. If you get your nav wrong you could get in some really nasty spots, but its all pretty straight forwards because its all so steep and obvious contours.

Hardest nav section is GF > PyP, worth recceing.

As a first welsh race it's a big step.

novice

Thanks do you have a route description/map for the half - just looked at the times for the full!!
    Last edited by novice; 09-07-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Thread from last year with some info:

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...hoe-entry-form

Both races are fairly arduous and potentially could be very hard in poor visibility and adverse weather. Last years winner of the Full Peris was Pete Vale in about 3 and a half hours. First lady (Andrea R) from Eryri was just ahead of me in 12th overall in about 4:10. Conditions were near ideal.
    However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results

Thanks do you have a route description/map for the half - just looked at the times for the full!!
    Half is llanberis, up track towards quarry hospital, off early on and up the inclines then carry on these all the way to main quarry by way, left at the byway, along the long shed, through the gate, follow the zig zag road to top of quarry then to elidir Fawr, then follow 3000ers route to Y Garn then to Glyder Fawr (summit on the right), then to Pen Y Pass (start down red pot path come off at some point and descend direct).

Master

When is it this year? Also I have been looking for entry forms but cant find the link. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    When is it this year? Also I have been looking for entry forms but cant find the link. Anyone know?
    11th September. Normally it's EOD, never known it fill up, even when Brits. Wife runs Eryri website but as far as I know she's not been sent through a form.

I have a route description that I was sent by a Pennine friend. If you want to PM me your email, I'll forward it when I get a mo'
    However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results

I tried pre entering last year, shouldn't have bothered. EOD and suck up the extra pound entry. Though if you insist on trying to pre enter - there is a specific entry form but eryri did have issues about updating their official site and their blogspot site last year. I suspect Mike would be ok to receive general entry form, plus write down your experience and I believe its cheques payable to Eryri.

This is a proper fell race. I took about 5 hours on the full course last year, there are A-Longs and there are A-Longs, this is in the top handful of hard fell races in the UK. I found the nav ok/easy but I know the area well (I've walked all of the 6 hills multiple times and in some awful conditions) and got passed by a local coming down into the pass at the halfway mark - which saved me 5-10 mins. Follow the side of the rail track off Snowdon - otherwise its got huge tourist wipe-out potential - I annoyed more than a few bimbling tourists off Snowdon - I over took about 4 fell runners through that section to give an idea of my speed and the risks that I was taking.

Its a great race.
    'Normal' people are the ones you don't know very well.

I find the lack of water on parts of the course to be one of the most difficult aspects of the full race. The whole section from PyP to Yr Wyddfa is very dry! Last time I ran the race I was out of water by Bwlch Ciliau.