Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I've raced my last race.

Similar thing with me Wheeze & glad you shared it with us. I've had chest pains since October. Finally went to the doctor in December who said it was chronic stress but sent me for blood tests & an ECG to be safe. Went to a cardiologist for the results who said the ECG looks unusual. No running or exercise & whisked off to the Rapid Access Chest Unit at hospital. I've had a chest X-Ray & seen the cardiologist there who said my ECG was "grossly abnormal". He confirmed no exercise until I have had a heart scan & angiogram, which I am now waiting for the appointment. Running keeps me sane & reduces my stress, so absolutely gutted & dreading the potential outcome.

Sorry to hear that Jez. Hope it goes well for you. Its a bit of a shock to realise you have a ticking time bomb in your chest! I can really empathise. But you are in a different category to me in that you have had symptoms. They have been your warning sign and hopefully something positive can be done.
    I'm in a slightly different bind in that I have had no symptoms at all because my heart had adapted to hard exercise under the risk factors of high blood pressure and narrowed arteries. Consequently my consultant says my risk is sudden death with no warning. But also, because I have no symptoms, there is no indication to unblock the arteries, just take medication and cut out extreme exercise. Great.Thanks. What does that mean??
    Every time I go for a jog now (I wont grace the term with a run)I worry.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Jez, be sure to let us know how it all goes. Thinking of you.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Sorry to hear that Jez. Hope it goes well for you. Its a bit of a shock to realise you have a ticking time bomb in your chest! I can really empathise. But you are in a different category to me in that you have had symptoms. They have been your warning sign and hopefully something positive can be done.
    I'm in a slightly different bind in that I have had no symptoms at all because my heart had adapted to hard exercise under the risk factors of high blood pressure and narrowed arteries. Consequently my consultant says my risk is sudden death with no warning. But also, because I have no symptoms, there is no indication to unblock the arteries, just take medication and cut out extreme exercise. Great.Thanks. What does that mean??
    Every time I go for a jog now (I wont grace the term with a run)I worry.
    Bloody hell, so sorry to hear that. Must be awful for you. On the plus side, i have had nice conversations with my wife on how to fill the "running void", should the worst come to the worst. Walking, photography, marshalling at races etc. Not the same as running, but there are decent alternatives.....
    Hope all works out for you.

Super Moderator
    Jez, sorry to hear your news. As Wheeze said please keep us posted. Cheers Andrew

Cheers Andrew. I'm hoping it's just an anomaly & that I'll be ok to resume as normal!

Super Moderator
    Fingers crossed for you mate

Good luck with finding out more about it. The positive side is that you've spotted it and can now take steps to manage it. Given the findings of "grossly abnormal" that's much better than the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Good luck with finding out more about it. The positive side is that you've spotted it and can now take steps to manage it. Given the findings of "grossly abnormal" that's much better than the alternative.
    Cheers Noel.

Simon & Jez, thinking of you both. It's athletically induced asthma that's curtailed my running (at least, from the standard that I used to run at); every outing is more of a jog/brisk walk these days. Well done Jez on being positive enough to spot healthy / viable / "non-threatening" alternatives.
    By the by Jez, it's now 3 years since you were asking "Which new washing machine?"
    Mr Brightside and I gave you a load of advice; which make & model did you opt for?

Ian.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 12-02-2019 at 04:31 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!