Page 112 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1164

Thread: Langdale Horseshoe.

Dan has approved my past experience as sufficient, so i'm in. Never recced it before, but at the leisurely speed i'll be going i'll have plenty of time to look at the map.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Nice one. It'll keep you top of the A/G leader board
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I've spent most of the morning not working, but planning my schedule.

CP2 1h00
    CP3 1h45
    CP4 2h15
    CP5 2h45
    CP6 3h15

I don't intend to run until the drop off Thunacar, i can descent the mile to Martcrag quite fast by not really doing a great deal. I'll walk up Black Crags and jog into Angle Tarn where i'll stop to do a lot of drinking. From there to Bowfell it's no running with a lot of eating croissants at Esk Hause, and my point of no return is Three Tarns; if i have issues i have to pull out there or i'll be struggling for an easy retirement route later on. After the Bad Step i can descend quickly to Red Tarn if i'm able because it will cover the ground more efficiently. The walk up Blisco has to be steady because it would be useful to be able to run the whole way to the finish. Thats my plan.

That sounds like a very sensible plan. You don't want to go off too fast, and from what I remember it's quite steep early on.

How are you planning to heat the croissants?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I've spent most of the morning not working, but planning my schedule.

CP2 1h00
    CP3 1h45
    CP4 2h15
    CP5 2h45
    CP6 3h15

I don't intend to run until the drop off Thunacar, i can descent the mile to Martcrag quite fast by not really doing a great deal. I'll walk up Black Crags and jog into Angle Tarn where i'll stop to do a lot of drinking. From there to Bowfell it's no running with a lot of eating croissants at Esk Hause, and my point of no return is Three Tarns; if i have issues i have to pull out there or i'll be struggling for an easy retirement route later on. After the Bad Step i can descend quickly to Red Tarn if i'm able because it will cover the ground more efficiently. The walk up Blisco has to be steady because it would be useful to be able to run the whole way to the finish. Thats my plan.
    The first kilometre or so is largely runnable, despite being rough, both underfoot and from other people's elbows. The path around Stickle Tarn, and a bit beyond it, is also runnable.

You will walk up Black Crags even if you don't want to!

Under or over Esk Pike? I recommend over.

Down, or next to (on the left just above the Bad Step) or around (take the shallow gully heading west from the checkpoint) the Bad Step? I always go around.

The descents from the Crinkles and from Blisco are largely runnable, apart from some short sharp rough sections.

There is plenty of scope for getting a bit lost - coming off the top of Bowfell, behind and on the descent from the Crinkles, and on the descent from Blisco.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    The first kilometre or so is largely runnable, despite being rough, both underfoot and from other people's elbows. The path around Stickle Tarn, and a bit beyond it, is also runnable.

You will walk up Black Crags even if you don't want to!

Under or over Esk Pike? I recommend over.

Down, or next to (on the left just above the Bad Step) or around (take the shallow gully heading west from the checkpoint) the Bad Step? I always go around.

The descents from the Crinkles and from Blisco are largely runnable, apart from some short sharp rough sections.

There is plenty of scope for getting a bit lost - coming off the top of Bowfell, behind and on the descent from the Crinkles, and on the descent from Blisco.

Good luck!
    Probably over Esk Pike, right of Crinkles and up Rest Gill, left at the Bad Step. I'll take a bearing before i dib at Blisco, that way i'm not rushing. I'm going to try for SE followed by E off Blisco as there's a really obvious flat plateau with a beck draining off it to aim for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Probably over Esk Pike, right of Crinkles and up Rest Gill, left at the Bad Step. I'll take a bearing before i dib at Blisco, that way i'm not rushing. I'm going to try for SE followed by E off Blisco as there's a really obvious flat plateau with a beck draining off it to aim for.
    If you are climbing up the red soil section of Rest Gill you have gone too low. It is possible to go from Three Tarns to the Crinkle Crag checkpoint with a total climb of only 600 feet - so only about 100 feet of height is lost.

Tindersticks said he'd only seen clag worse on the route once before in 17 langdales. Nothing really went to plan and I still have no idea what the route looks like, I could barely see 10m. When I got bored and marched off on my own I was using audible cues for keeping near people. I visited the crinkle crags CP twice and have no idea how I circled back for my second visit.

3h55 in total, with a lot of time lost between crinkles and blisco. People told me thunacar would be worst for nav, but ore gap to blisco was torturously slow.

Yes the clag was terrible after Esk Hause. The marshal at Crinkle Crags said a couple of people had visited twice. To be honest I'm surprised more people didn't get lost.
    Loads of people falling over, sometimes repeatedly.

The organisation was great, with home made pies

Eh up Luke
    I’ve done Langdale 8 times and today was certainly an adventure - definitely one of my hardest Langdales due to the clag and extremely slippery rocks. Well done on getting around….see you at the next 50@50.