Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Farage NEW PM

I have come to the same conclusion as well as acknowledging the fact that EU cannot afford to lose us if another PIGS state defaults. They need us more than we need them. Is it selfish to walk away? Well yes, but I dont see why we should be pulled into a fight made by a currency which we declined to join!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I've already had to give up watching Have I got news for you. My wife does't like me shouting at the telly. As I grow older I'm finding myself morphing into Inspector Grim from the Thin Blue Line.
    What percentage of Grumpy old men do you agree with? It must be big! - Subtract 30 from that and I can tell you your age.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    What percentage of Grumpy old men do you agree with? It must be big! - Subtract 30 from that and I can tell you your age.
    I never saw it but I imagine I would have agreed with quite a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Incredible and not very scientific of course, but I'd say in a period where we have had almost daily poll updates, the polls seem to have dried up in the last week or so.
    I wonder why?

My own assessment a few months back was that if we ended up in the EU elections, around 70% of Tory voters would jump ship and around 30% of Labour voters to a Brexit Party, which seems most likely The Brexit Party now.

There will also be Remainers deserting the two because of their lack of clarity, the middle ground approach doesn't work on an issue that is polarised.

Turnout will be a key factor. Pro EU might be seen as more likely to vote than Leavers.

But I can easily see a 30% + vote for the Brexit Party, Labour dropping to mid 20s and Tories maybe even under 20%

The UK contingent in the EU Parliament is already pretty anti EU as UKIP won the 2014 EU election, so the balance won't change a great deal from our perspective.

But the balance may change elsewhere, with many of the 27 becoming more Eurosceptic, not in the majority perhaps, but there is a shift.

France will be interesting. Macron wants more EU, but not sure the French public do.
    Looking back that wasn't a bad forecast.

Farage as PM is perhaps closer now than ever.

After today's waste of an Autumn Statement I have a number of Labour friends who say they can't vote for them and same for the Tories.

Reform now hitting double figures in the polls.
    Farage in the jungle - maybe lining up a political comeback which could see Reform closing on the Tories at around 20% and I can see a few Tory MP wobbling and jumping ship.

Now I can't see a Reform Party gaining power, but possibly a few seats and the Tories dropping below 100 - they could be wiped out.

But in 2025 I can see a reverse takeover of the Tory Party by Reform, opening the way to a 2029 GE with a Farage led Tories.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLvWin8mL2k

and have a look at this - no need to watch all, but of you watch the start you'll probably want to watch the whole clip

It's what happens when the public get sick of the two main parties.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

You heard it here first.

You should put a tenner on it WP. I suspect you'll get good odds - what with Farage having failed seven times to win a seat in the commons.

Although the UK economy isn't exactly flying at the moment, I'm not convinced there are many parallels with Argentina: https://www.reuters.com/markets/emer...0of%20180.7%25.
    185% !!

But you're right: at some point there will be something that disrupts the current two-party status quo in British politics.

I so hope not! Farage is a prize cockwomble of the first order.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    I so hope not! Farage is a prize cockwomble of the first order.
    That's an opinion I don't share, but two points.

Look at the long line of PMs particularly going back to 1990 and we seem to have had more than our fair share of cockwombles, so would one more be so odd?

The main point, that if you keep treating the voting public as idiots, they will look to use their vote in a more creative way, and we have already seen that happen UK wide in 2 x national elections and a referendum, and we can also see how the Scots have used it voting SNP when clearly many of the folk voting that way did not want independence.
    You could argue the 2017 GE was also along those lines, when Corbyn got close, because he offered something different after two and a half decades of same old, same old... and then again in 2019 with Bojo.
    Neither worked but the public are clearly looking for an option to break the mould.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

One can look to Holland and Argentina, in the last week, to see how the political landscape can drastically change when the voting public have "had enough" of whatever it is they have been subjected to for years.
    Probably unthinkable 10 years ago, but not so now.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    One can look to Holland and Argentina, in the last week, to see how the political landscape can drastically change when the voting public have "had enough" of whatever it is they have been subjected to for years.
    Probably unthinkable 10 years ago, but not so now.
    Yep. Democracy is far too important to be left in the hands of the electorate.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".