Thread: Great Lakes Fell Race

Great Lakes Fell Race

Looking forward to Saturdays race even though weather's looking a bit grim. It's my first Great Lakes Race, I know it's a toughie but just wondering what others thoughts are on how this compares with races like Langdale, Borrowdale etc
    Last edited by Fozzy42; 11-06-2019 at 12:33 PM.

I've only done it once before and that was in the foul weather the last time it was a champs race. With only that occasion as a reference point, i'd say it's tougher in every department than Langdale. In the wet the rocky section across the Scafells is lethal underfoot, plus navigationally it's much more challenging (IMO) than the other long races. We also had 2 stream crossings which were in full spate and had to be swum, although of course that is very weather dependent. The height gain really starts to stack up in what is a short-ish long. But, it is a fantastic route and one of the very best races i've done. Just don't underestimate it!!

Before the Howgills came in to being I believe it was the first M/L category race with more than 100m climb/km advertised. And you have to drop that as well. Add in the rock, foxes tarn path being more of a stream, mist and the potential for walkabout between Scafel-SlightSIde-Blisco, then finding the best route off Blisco summit and it's a toughy!

That 2012 race still counts as one of the best days I've had on the hills and probably where my love of rough conditions started. Alas I'll only be marshalling this weekend.
    Last edited by ba-ba; 11-06-2019 at 09:32 PM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Thanks for the info fellas cheers👍 I've seen a video of that 2012 race in the abysmal conditions and the fun you all had crossing the beck at the bottom of Blisco😱 Personally I hope the rain has buggered off by Saturday, either way I'm excited about it come hail, rain or shine.

Just re-visited the 2012 results. Even in that weather winning time of nearly 3hrs gives an indication of how tough it is, last finisher was pretty much 8hrs!! Even Wasddale doesn't have 8hr finishers does it, what an effort!!

Same as you Ba-Ba - probably the most memorable race i've done, loved it all. Was much more like a shortened MM rather than a champs fell race, in fact very reminiscent of Borrowdale OMM in many ways :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy42 View Post
    Thanks for the info fellas cheers�� I've seen a video of that 2012 race in the abysmal conditions and the fun you all had crossing the beck at the bottom of Blisco�� Personally I hope the rain has buggered off by Saturday, either way I'm excited about it come hail, rain or shine.
    The beck at Stool End was the easy bit - there was a rope! The upper Esk was much more fun using combined tactics to get across and wondering if we were going to make it.
    Mike Hind
    Borrowdale Fell runners

Wow, didn't realise that. Weather looks not too bad for weekend but with all the rain we're having this week it could make the river crossings fun😉

Quote Originally Posted by mykind View Post
    The beck at Stool End was the easy bit - there was a rope! The upper Esk was much more fun using combined tactics to get across and wondering if we were going to make it.
    No rope when I got there, so I went upstream about 500m to the footbridge. Much safer!

Well that was certainly a tough bugger last Saturday. After the downpour prior to the start it faired up pretty well, apart from rain and clag between Great End and Scafell when I went on a bit of a walkabout, even though I know that section better than any other part of the course, thankfully sun came out second half. Even enjoyed the long slog over to Blisco but legs were pretty much gone by he summit. Great race, top organisation and some really friendly people. Thanks to Ben and the team of organisers and all marshals and helpers, hope to be back next year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy42 View Post
    Well that was certainly a tough bugger last Saturday. After the downpour prior to the start it faired up pretty well, apart from rain and clag between Great End and Scafell when I went on a bit of a walkabout, even though I know that section better than any other part of the course, thankfully sun came out second half. Even enjoyed the long slog over to Blisco but legs were pretty much gone by he summit. Great race, top organisation and some really friendly people. Thanks to Ben and the team of organisers and all marshals and helpers, hope to be back next year.
    Yes, tough, but very interesting. I was 33 minutes quicker than 2012, but at the time I did not know the race route off Blisco and had to go down via the road/ODG. Lots of route choice, descending Slight Side and ascending the Crinkles ridge in particular - for the latter I chose to go up next to Swinsty Gill. Fozzy42's weather report is spot on - visibility on Great End was not - er - great, and even coming off Esk Pike I made a small nav error. A superbly organised race - thanks to Ben/Britta and all their helpers.