Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: LDMT why not more popular

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    We'll be heading up from New Mills some time on Saturday afternoon, camping at Stool End Farm if that's any help.

Err, are you sure about your start time? That means you're either me or Ben Abdelnoor!
    3 minutes to, got it wrong in my head; thanks for questioning, I’m 8.57!
    Thank you for the offer, much appreciated. I do have a car but it would be good for the wife and 3 littles to use at home, just looking at other options.

Twins separated at birth....

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    That means you're either me or Ben Abdelnoor!

8-34 for me on the classic.

A perusal of the archives gives a detailed account of checkpoints and various routes taken on the 1996 race from the same venue... makes grim reading and plotting!

Whilst last year was very tough, and the weather at the start only added to this... I did think that the route choices really only provided a couple of obvious options for each leg (not a criticism in any way, this was more than enough challenge for me). But looking at 1996 and the potential from this venue, each leg could have multiple choices, all tough and complex.

Please be clear weather!

I note map pick up is 150m from the start, which I reckon a short way up the Band... probably to give an option directly up the Band or a traverse... which points to cp1 possibly being either generally north-west or south-west....? doesn’t help much!

All points to a good job I’m starting so early!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    A perusal of the archives gives a detailed account of checkpoints and various routes taken on the 1996 race from the same venue... makes grim reading and plotting!
    Yep, that's a tough course! My guess is this year we'll be largely west and south of Langdale as north and east is straying in to ground covered in the last two years.
    Geoff Clarke

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

Whilst last year was very tough, and the weather at the start only added to this... I did think that the route choices really only provided a couple of obvious options for each leg (not a criticism in any way, this was more than enough challenge for me). But looking at 1996 and the potential from this venue, each leg could have multiple choices, all tough and complex.

Please be clear weather!

I note map pick up is 150m from the start, which I reckon a short way up the Band... probably to give an option directly up the Band or a traverse... which points to cp1 possibly being either generally north-west or south-west....? doesn’t help much!

Well you'll be off and running before I even get there so I'll say good luck now as I doubt I'll see you. I start at 10.08 and I'm also betting on going west and south. Definitely hoping for clear weather as there's plenty of opportunity for walkabout over that way.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Well you'll be off and running before I even get there so I'll say good luck now as I doubt I'll see you. I start at 10.08 and I'm also betting on going west and south. Definitely hoping for clear weather as there's plenty of opportunity for walkabout over that way.
    Cheers Pete... at least I’ll (hopefully) be back for the presentation so I may see you if still around!

And of course good luck to yourself and all forumites...

Actually I say “bring it on”.... let’s face it, you don’t do this race if you don’t want a challenge... I want to see the map with a checkpoint on Lank Rigg....!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

Please be clear weather!

Ha! Be careful what you wish for!
    And yes, good luck all other forumites too.

First time for me, really looking forward to it but also wondering how i will get on...i suppose you have to start somewhere. if you find me wandering around aimlessly in the clag, then it has gone badly. Good luck everyone.

Good luck Tim... I had all the same feelings last year... jumped straight in with the Classic, weather was awful and it was certainly intimidating heading up into the storm to the map point, and then spending the next hour completely alone, but glad I did it...

Since then had mixed fortunes... at the Mercia Trial I spent a considerable amount of time a couple of grid squares off the map for a reason best known to myself... then in the South Wales Trial had a great run and got into the top 6 (obviously it wasn’t the depth of quality of the LDMT!).

Best thing for me was to go onto the LDMT website archive section, click on the results tab for races in the last 8-10 years, click the RouteGadget tab and you can bring up the maps that were issued for each trial, then have a go at plotting routes, then bring up the routes people took on the day... really gives you an idea of some of the challenges you might face...

Thanks Pete will have a look at this. And hope for good weather!