Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Use of GPS banned!

They are. And then remain there for people to see.

The Facebook page is just the same questions endlessly repeated on a daily basis.

Say what you like about the Facebook page but it’s almost always enthusiastic, it’s inclusive and, shock, horror, lots of female fellrunners post there as well.

You know, females, the sex that this place, perhaps by being ‘somewhat’ less enthusiastic and inclusive, has virtually eradicated!

I'm not denigrating facebook entirely... there are several other pages which are fantastically informative "enthusiastic and "inclusive".... the Shropshire page and the Welsh FRA page are both superb.

Doesn't alter my view that the Fell Runners UK page is 95% waffle.

The relative shortcomings (real or imagined) have been debated on here many a time... but i think it's fair to say that most fell-related topics are discussed here with enthusiasm, if not in great numbers.

It's also fair to say that if the Facebook page allowed constant discussion of Brexit, BLM, politics, etc, then it wouldn't quite be the inclusive den-of-harmony that you make it out to be... you only have to look at the couple of times in which Racism/BLM were discussed on that page to see it was at least as big a shit-show as seen on here at times (and with many times the unsavoury and inflammatory comments than have ever been seen on here).

The issue on the forum is they remain "permanent".... but they are no less prevalent on facebook.
    Last edited by Travs; 05-01-2021 at 04:00 PM.

Point taken but I do think the admin team on the FB page act pretty swiftly if things go tits up. Ian Winterburn (iandarkpeak as was on here) is admin I know and he, and I’m sure others, step in fast. I’m one of the admin team on the FB Bob Graham group page and, again, we rarely have problems - if anything most of the posters there are either stupidly over enthusiastic or plain obsessed with the BGR, neither of which can ever be described as problems.

On the waffle front, given that the fell running FB group has over 18,000 members, that’s only to be expected. And waffle, especially enthusiastic waffle, is surely preferable than posting about something (fell running related) that you find interesting on here and getting just no response at all.

My point about female posting is really relevant. I know and am still in contact with a dozen or so female erstwhile long time posters on here (I’m married to one), mostly through Facebook or Instagram now or to say hello to at races, and maybe twenty or thirty erstwhile male forumites too. It’s hard to summarise the main reason for them leaving this forum but, what with Facebook being so much more immediate, and with dedicated club and fell race pages too, this place I think just stopped being user friendly and welcoming. And declining members here just led in a spiral to more decline. That said (to me) with some relatively recent departures this place is much much better than it was so maybe things might get a bit better
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 05-01-2021 at 02:57 PM.

The endless "which shoe?" discussions on FB did lead to the gem:

Which shoe should I use for the Man vs Horse race?
    Depends whether you are a man or a horse.
    Thank you, Mr Kay.

The GOFAR facebook page is also a goodun'.... obviously their website is fantastic.

With regards to the point of lack of female members... most of those issues... facebook, club pages, probably equally applicable to lack of both male and female forumites.

Although i won't deny that things have had a history of getting drawn-out and a little over-heated on here!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Although i won't deny that things have had a history of getting drawn-out and a little over-heated on here!
    Yes, I've certainly taken an action to pretend to be friendly and not a argumentative pedant. I think a few other have too - it's been a lot nicer on here recently.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Yes, I've certainly taken an action to pretend to be friendly and not a argumentative pedant. I think a few other have too - it's been a lot nicer on here recently.
    an argumentative pedant

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    an argumentative pedant

Lovely.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Yes, I've certainly taken an action to pretend to be friendly.
    Cover blown now matey!
    Am Yisrael Chai