Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Peris Horseshoe

I thought the weather was remarkably good, considering some of the biblical deluges I drove through to get there earlier in the morning - underfoot was treacherous though

I was told that I had timed out at Pen-y-Pass, which was a shame, but I enjoyed my "half"
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

It was pretty horrible going up over Lliwedd and Snowdon, but yes as you say, the terrain was more of an issue.

Sorry to hear you got timed out, but just the half is a good day out in itself...

MrRTS's 34th race of his 50@50. Loved it and a new favourite race. He will be back next year on this one. Really happy with his time of 04:43:52. He was on point with navigation all the way around (thumb compass is the way ahead ;-) ) He did though switch off after the last CP and was happily running along the track when he realised he was nearly at the finish at the road so he turned around and went back to come over the fells with everyone else as he was worried he would be disqualified haha. A few do that so he need not of worried, although he would of missed Beau Dog and I completely if he had finished that way! To those that heard Beau Dog cheering on the 1st ascent above on top of the slate scree slope I hope it spurred you on haha. I have included a few photos of Beau too as he is fed up not being star of his own show ;-) MrRTS said to say a massive thanks to the Organisers, helpers and many Marshals out on the course in some pretty horrid conditions. They cheered and encouraged the whole way around. Great to catch up with so many friends too. Well done Trav on knocking off 15 mins from last year! Amazing. We were probably in the little cafe when you went past after the finish as I got Nigel a pint of coke in and a toasted tea-cake before heading up onto the hill to take some photos. Few Photos that I took here while up the hill with Beau Dog. Anyone that wished to make a small donation to the Thomas Theyer Foundation please follow the link https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Nigel-Jeff If you would like the original message me with your e-mail quoting the file number bottom left of the photo I will send you the original with none of the writing on. Well done everyone. Just blooming brilliant!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PFkngzfJLwgViLnk2 - on top of the 1st slate scree slope. Getting back down that for me was interesting ;-)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KtI2KF8EE4Y7hMol1 Few from the finish. Sorry did not get everyone but it was lovely to see so many happy faces at the end of a very tough race. Helen Brown words as she went past at the end. "Knackered" haha. Helen is brilliant, it was her that got us our 1st rescue dog 5 years ago - little Winnie Woo. She is our fairy dogmother :-)
    Last edited by RaceTheSweeper; 10-09-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    MrRTS's 34th race of his 50@50. Loved it and a new favourite race. He will be back next year on this one. Really happy with his time of 04:43:52. He was on point with navigation all the way around (thumb compass is the way ahead ;-) ) He did though switch off after the last CP and was happily running along the track when he realised he was nearly at the finish at the road so he turned around and went back to come over the fells with everyone else as he was worried he would be disqualified haha. A few do that so he need not of worried, although he would of missed Beau Dog and I completely if he had finished that way! To those that heard Beau Dog cheering on the 1st ascent above on top of the slate scree slope I hope it spurred you on haha. I have included a few photos of Beau too as he is fed up not being star of his own show ;-) MrRTS said to say a massive thanks to the Organisers, helpers and many Marshals out on the course in some pretty horrid conditions. They cheered and encouraged the whole way around. Great to catch up with so many friends too. Well done Trav on knocking off 15 mins from last year! Amazing. We were probably in the little cafe when you went past after the finish as I got Nigel a pint of coke in and a toasted tea-cake before heading up onto the hill to take some photos. Few Photos that I took here while up the hill with Beau Dog. Anyone that wished to make a small donation to the Thomas Theyer Foundation please follow the link https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Nigel-Jeff If you would like the original message me with your e-mail quoting the file number bottom left of the photo I will send you the original with none of the writing on. Well done everyone. Just blooming brilliant!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PFkngzfJLwgViLnk2 - on top of the 1st slate scree slope. Getting back down that for me was interesting ;-)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KtI2KF8EE4Y7hMol1 Few from the finish. Sorry did not get everyone but it was lovely to see so many happy faces at the end of a very tough race. Helen Brown words as she went past at the end. "Knackered" haha. Helen is brilliant, it was her that got us our 1st rescue dog 5 years ago - little Winnie Woo. She is our fairy dogmother :-)
    So Beau Dog didn't get up the hill in time to watch us Half-Perisers? We need some encouragement as well!

Actually, it was seeing Ellie Salisbury coming past with her dog that woke me up from the rather soporific state that I had fallen into while finding my way down from Glyder Fawr. I think was 16th at the top of GF; I know I was 23rd (i.e. second-last) at the finish at Pen-y-Pass; would have probably been last if it wasn't for seeing that dog!

Good running Anthony. Looking at your time, you must have been at PYP finish about the same time I went through, or perhaps I just passed you on the way down (although I don't recall passing anyone on the way down, such was the poor quality of my descending...)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    So Beau Dog didn't get up the hill in time to watch us Half-Perisers? We need some encouragement as well!

Actually, it was seeing Ellie Salisbury coming past with her dog that woke me up from the rather soporific state that I had fallen into while finding my way down from Glyder Fawr. I think was 16th at the top of GF; I know I was 23rd (i.e. second-last) at the finish at Pen-y-Pass; would have probably been last if it wasn't for seeing that dog!
    So sorry AK. The plan was to be there for you guys too but when 20 mins from home in the car MrRTS realised he had forgotten his HR monitor so we had to go back. We didn't get there until you guys were about to leave. We did cheer you on as you came out of the car park and followed you up. We promise to be in that same spot next year and cheer you past. We saw the lady with the dog too. It's a medical dog for her. We have seen her at a couple of races. Love that they allow her to take her dog as she would not be able to do it without him. Well done on finishing. :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Good running Anthony. Looking at your time, you must have been at PYP finish about the same time I went through, or perhaps I just passed you on the way down (although I don't recall passing anyone on the way down, such was the poor quality of my descending...)
    Yes indeed, Travs, you are a rubbish descender: your split time between Glyder Fawr and Pen-y-Pass was only 15 minutes faster than mine. Looking carefully at the checkpoint times, you did come past me before Pen-y-Pass, but you probably thought I was just a rambler.

[My spell-checker has just given me an idea. It keeps on changing "Glyder" to "Glider". Now that's what I need for a fast descent!]

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Yes indeed, Travs, you are a rubbish descender: your split time between Glyder Fawr and Pen-y-Pass was only 15 minutes faster than mine. Looking carefully at the checkpoint times, you did come past me before Pen-y-Pass, but you probably thought I was just a rambler.

[My spell-checker has just given me an idea. It keeps on changing "Glyder" to "Glider". Now that's what I need for a fast descent!]

haha I have no intention of insinuating that anyone slower than me is a rubbish descender. But relative to my position in the race, I think my split on that section was slower than everyone in front, as well as a good number who finished behind me. I'd also note that on the final descent of the race, I only narrowly beat a fell-walker down, although he did lightly jog a few of the easier sections (bloody cheating that is!)

I did make a very poor choice regarding footwear which didn't help matters, and on the wonderfully fast descent down the Snowdon Ranger path I was in such pain that I was reduced to a limp. Back to mudclaws next time!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    So sorry AK. The plan was to be there for you guys too but when 20 mins from home in the car MrRTS realised he had forgotten his HR monitor so we had to go back. We didn't get there until you guys were about to leave. We did cheer you on as you came out of the car park and followed you up. We promise to be in that same spot next year and cheer you past. We saw the lady with the dog too. It's a medical dog for her. We have seen her at a couple of races. Love that they allow her to take her dog as she would not be able to do it without him. Well done on finishing. :-)
    No worries, RTS, coming out of the car park I was concentrating on restraining myself from going off at my usual idiotic pace at the start of a race, so I didn't notice you.

I was introduced to the medical dog at registration, where his owner was on duty earlier in the morning. So I knew who it was when the dog shot past on the slopes of Glyder Fawr.

As for next year: yes, I would love to do the Half Peris again, if it coincides with a gap between injuries and a weekend when my wife hasn't programmed something more sensible for me to do. My mind is still buzzing from the experience, and I couldn't concentrate at work today because I kept thinking back to Saturday. It was my longest race (in terms of time) since 1995; very different from the races in and around the Peak District that I have occasionally been running for the last few years. A wonderful experience!

Master
    Apparently someone on Snowdon on 9th September was doing something even dafter than running a 17-mile fell race: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...P=share_btn_fb
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges