Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon’s Back Race 2012

Dragon’s Back Race 2012

Next year I am resurrecting the Dragons Back Race!

The original Dragon’s Back Race happened just once in September 1992 and was famously won by Martin Stone and Helene Diamantides. Ever since, the race has been whispered about with a mix of awe and trepidation. With the help of books like Richard Askwith’s ‘Feet In the Clouds’, its growing reputation has reached almost legendary status with many fell, mountain and ultra runners the World over.

September next year is the 20th anniversary of the original race and once again the Dragon will be breathing fire on the mountains of Wales!

The 2012 course will follow the original route very closely; starting at Conwy Castle in the north and tracing the mountainous spine of Wales southwards, over 5 days with approximately 220 miles and 50,000 feet of ascent, to finish at Carreg Cennen Castle. It’s an incredible route.

Many runners consider the Dragon’s Back Race to be the toughest mountain running event ever organised. Those wishing to take part next year will be fully supported throughout with tented accommodation, breakfast and evening meals provided, a daily resupply point and transportation of their overnight kit. On completion of this epic race, all the competitors and support crew will share a celebratory feast before return transport takes everyone back to Conwy in North Wales.

If you would like to find out more, please visit www.DragonsBackRace.com.

Re: Dragon’s Back Race 2012

Fantastic! I'm already excited! Will there be any chance of the route or an indication of the route will be made available? At the moment we have the checkpoints from the first race and the route from the book Snowdoina -- Gower.

I do hope not, it would make it far too easy for everyone if they could recce it first, it's bad enough that the organisers are allowing those electronic GPS thingies :thunbdown:.

Besides, I don't want my lovely local Welsh hills, normally devoid of runners all summer, suddenly swamped with DB entrants recceing. It's just not on.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

If the race carries on next year, the route wil be known, so it will only be for one year. The approximate route is also in the book -- Snowdonia / Gower and we have been out on two reccy weekends already. Good for the economy

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I do hope not, it would make it far too easy for everyone if they could recce it first, it's bad enough that the organisers are allowing those electronic GPS thingies :thunbdown:.

Besides, I don't want my lovely local Welsh hills, normally devoid of runners all summer, suddenly swamped with DB entrants recceing. It's just not on.
    Sorry, didn't realise that the mountains were for any one individual ...

I think Shane should be thoroughly congratulated for resurrecting this legendary event, for taking on all the effort that goes along with this. Promoting access and appropriate use of lesser known Welsh hills as part of the event can only be good for our sport and Welsh tourism.

I only wish I could ever be fit enough to run it!

I hear that Bill Gates and Richard Branson are thinking of entering as a team.
    I reckon that with their disposable income, they should have a chance of winning!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    I hear that Bill Gates and Richard Branson are thinking of entering as a team.
    I reckon that with their disposable income, they should have a chance of winning!
    "MIAOW" - I think it's a shame we are getting the petty sniping about the cost of this race!! I too think that Shane should be congratulated for reasurecting this classic. My partner and his mate have both entered and I have volunteered as a marshall. We have enjoyed two forays into these wonderful Welsh mountains so far including an awesome run over the Rhinogs last Thursday in fabulous weather and busy planning the next one now. I understand that at least four of the original finishers have entered and we are all very excited at the prospect. Well done Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulinclimber View Post
    "MIAOW" - I think it's a shame we are getting the petty sniping about the cost of this race!! I too think that Shane should be congratulated for reasurecting this classic. My partner and his mate have both entered and I have volunteered as a marshall. We have enjoyed two forays into these wonderful Welsh mountains so far including an awesome run over the Rhinogs last Thursday in fabulous weather and busy planning the next one now. I understand that at least four of the original finishers have entered and we are all very excited at the prospect. Well done Shane.
    You're absolutely right. Well done Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Sorry, didn't realise that the mountains were for any one individual ...

I think Shane should be thoroughly congratulated for resurrecting this legendary event, for taking on all the effort that goes along with this. Promoting access and appropriate use of lesser known Welsh hills as part of the event can only be good for our sport and Welsh tourism.

I only wish I could ever be fit enough to run it!
    My comments were in jest , Missus and I volunteered as marshalls for the 5 days when he announced it - so hope to be a part of the event next year helping everyone on. And having had a crack at it in 2007 (the Steambunny version) I have a pretty good idea of what is coming and some of the route .
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Missus and I volunteered as marshalls for the 5 days when he announced it.
    Look forward to meeting you next September then.......unless you fancy joining us when next we venture West of the border?? We made it to Barmouth last week so it's Cadair Idris next - hopefully before Christmas weather permitting.