Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh god, kayaking

Re: Oh god, kayaking

Well we have - Sevylor inflatable sit-on tops.

Fantastic things, blow up but got a protective layer to help prevent being popped and they are really easy to use.

We have them for the sea so if a wave crashes on them, the water just runs straight off.

I recommed them!

We have two solo ones and a two-man one.....and yes....get a paddle with two paddle bits on the end.

We have wet-suits as well.

http://www.qualityadventure.com/imag...t6656large.jpg
    Thats similar to our two-man'er.

Thanks Al. Just been looking at the Sevylor Colorado and it looks the business - is there any reason why I couldn't use short paddles with this one as I have never done any kayaking but done a little bit in a canadian canoe - and I think they must be a bit more child/wife friendly?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Thanks Al. Just been looking at the Sevylor Colorado and it looks the business - is there any reason why I couldn't use short paddles with this one as I have never done any kayaking but done a little bit in a canadian canoe - and I think they must be a bit more child/wife friendly?
    Cheers
    Well my sister is 10 and she copes ok with a two-paddles paddle. Just takes abit of practice i guess

But you could get away with just a single one, but i think that would become abit of a pain in the arse after a while having to switch sides....plus you can get a fair bit of speed up and switching sides will do yer ed' in!

Ordered a Colorado. Yippee! Need some buoyancy aids maybe wetsuit type thingies too but know nowt about them. Any tips?
    Last edited by Grouse; 11-08-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Ordered a Colorado. Yippee!
    You'll have a whale of a time!

Only MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right. Paddles flotation devices and wetsuits. Are they much of a muchness and is it best to go for cheapest? (Makes me realise what a great sport running is shoes shorts vest errr... go.)

As far as paddles go I am looking at a combination paddle which can be used as a twin blade or two singles, thought it would give more options and good to give the kids experience of both BUT they are expensive (£50) and work out dearer than two (cheap) double blades. OR do I really only need one paddle (I will always be in the boat as wife is not too struck on the idea)

Also thinking of getting PFD's off net - is this a good idea - how important is sizing: I have two kids 1 12 years (almost adult size) and 1 9years, so presumably they would not be able to use the same one?

Any thoughts appreciated. Ta.

Only MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right. Paddles flotation devices and wetsuits. Are they much of a muchness and is it best to go for cheapest? (Makes me realise what a great sport running is shoes shorts vest errr... go.)

As far as paddles go I am looking at a combination paddle which can be used as a twin blade or two singles, thought it would give more options and good to give the kids experience of both BUT they are expensive (£50) and work out dearer than two (cheap) double blades. OR do I really only need one paddle (I will always be in the boat as wife is not too struck on the idea)

Also thinking of getting PFD's off net - is this a good idea - how important is sizing: I have two kids 1 12 years (almost adult size) and 1 9years, so presumably they would not be able to use the same one?

Any thoughts appreciated. Ta.
    Hmm not sure on the paddle front but unless they connect well they won't last but will leave this more to the paddlers.

BA (bouyancy aids) I can talk about.

Make sure they fit snugly. a loose fitting one can pop over your head when you fall in. I Like over the heads rather than jackets for kids as they can't undo them when you are not looking.

Infants/ young juniors sometimes come with a 'nappy style' strap to stop them doing this. they sometimes come with attached whistles.

They mush be fastened properly at all times as you might as well not wear one.

Take the kids along or get them to try them on before using them in case you have to exchange them.

Canoeing BA's tend to be cut differently than standard BA (Higher so they don't catch on the kayak) but most will suffice. look on the label in side and they will give you a max weight for a that BA.

A BA is NOT a life jacket. just thought I'd mention this and are only designed to keep the wearer afloat whereas a LJ will keep you floating face up if unconsious.

Please remind your kids once you have bought them that BA's are not body armour so don't go around punching each other. this drastically reduces the life time of the BA as it crushes the air out of the foam.

If I think of anything else I'll post it but got to go out now.

Ian

We got our sevylor paddles for 19.99 - the double-ended type.

Grand. I'm getting even more excited!

Got it. Went for a paddle in the living room, well I would have done if I'd had a paddle.

Feel all naughtical.