Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Transport

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I had a look and found a Super Off-peak return from Leeds to London for £113.50, if you travel at the right time. But that is still really expensive for anyone who isn't having their fare paid by their employer. I am actually a member of an organisation called Railfuture which campaigns for various improvements to the railway system in this country, including more sensible fares: railfuture.org.uk . But it is a really slow grind, trying to get even small improvements.
    I am going to London on 18th Sept from Ilkley via Leeds on the 18.45 from Leeds. Single fare (from Ilkley) £11.90

I am returning on the 13.03 from KX London to Ilkley via Leeds on 1st October. Single fare (KX to Ilkley) £11.90

I have a national railcard.

Perhaps not surprisingly, and possibly I am not alone, in thinking our railways are wonderful and I use trains a lot
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Yes, but there is the 30 - 60 year group which don't have the advantage of a rail card.

I also use split tickets which can make a huge difference.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I am going to London on 18th Sept from Ilkley via Leeds on the 18.45 from Leeds. Single fare (from Ilkley) £11.90

I am returning on the 13.03 from KX London to Ilkley via Leeds on 1st October. Single fare (KX to Ilkley) £11.90

Perhaps not surprisingly, and possibly I am not alone, in thinking our railways are wonderful and I use trains a lot
    Give that John Bercow a slap whilst you are down there!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I'm too drunk to reply properly, random meeting with an old friend turned into a few too many, but just wanted to say you guys are brilliant!!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    HS2 is an essential part of the long term plan to move Government to the ONLY major inland city in Britain. This will become necessary when sea level rises threatens the security of London and the other major cities.
    Also, to help prevent more carbon emissions. There's a nice infographic on this page: http://www.bitsofscience.org/plane-o...e-per-km-6835/ showing plane trips are about 20 times worse than train trips.

It's all a bit The Kraken Wakes planning for sea level rises. Maybe Buxton is a good even-longer-term plan (highest market town in England you know).

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Maybe Buxton is a good even-longer-term plan (highest market town in England you know).
    Does living at elevation mean the sheep from there are faster runners?

Shap to Kendal return in the car for two of us, about four pounds worth of diesel. Free parking, door to door, whatever time we like. For the pair of us to do the same journey by bus (when one actually is running) - 24 pounds. So we no longer support the local bus service, which means less income for them, fewer passengers and increased pressure to reduce already sparse services and or further increase fares.
    And don't even get me started on having to wait until I'm 66 for a bus pass.
    And I thought the policy was to get cars off the road......

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

So you are not only over 60 (a privilege which I now share), you are also sufficiently well organised to book trains weeks in advance, confident that you will be able to travel at the exact time!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

It’s the inconsistency though... I paid about £45 return to London the other day (which you’d think might be a cheaper fare than Leeds/Ilkley as it’s closer). and that was on the slow train which stops often. Had I gone with Virgin would have been looking at more like £100 return, which is blooming ridiculous when we have about 5 trains an hour to/from London.

Then another 12 quid for transport when I got there...

Then Cov to Birmingham is a fairly reasonable 5 or 6 quid return for a 20-30min journey. But on the other line Nuneaton to Leicester is something ridiculous like 15 quid for a similar length journey.

I was previously commuting to Birmingham daily, kept a record, and something like 20% of journeys were late (I.e up to 5 minutes) and about 5-10% of journeys were “delayed” I.e over 10 minutes late, or cancelled. In the end i started using first class to make it bearable and guarantee a seat, but then it was not much more cost effective than driving into Birmingham.

Italy has a fantastic rail service, at least in the north anyway.... the main Milan-Bologna-Florence-Rome high speed line is fantastic, and cheap...
    Last edited by Travs; 04-09-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    So you are not only over 60 (a privilege which I now share), you are also sufficiently well organised to book trains weeks in advance, confident that you will be able to travel at the exact time!
    Well yes. I tend to book aeroplanes some way in advance as well.

My point is that not everyone thinks the railways are rubbish. And railway companies use a similar business approach to the employers of most people posting on here - but of course we don't hear so much about that.