Page 200 of 304 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202210250300 ... LastLast
Results 1,991 to 2,000 of 3031

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    10.26 miles, 1,891 feet, 2 hours 51 minutes: Loughrigg trails, taking in the Roman Ruins, Borrans Park, Todd and Ivy Crags, Lily Tarn, Loughrigg top, and the track past the old golf club to Miller Bridge. Overcast and foggy, with visibility down to several hundred feet. Constant drizzle/light rain. No wind. Terrain saturated and slippery. Very few about; one fellow runner seen.

My new X-Talon Ultra 260s have arrived - looking forward to wearing them. When ordering them from Pete Bland's I forgot to put the discount code in - I contacted them later and they did it for me - what a store.

Master
    11.41 miles, 3,472 feet, 3 hours 45 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Clappersgate - Todd Crag - Lily Tarn - Ivy Crag - Loughrigg top - High Close - Silver How - High Close - Loughrigg top - old golf club track - Miller Bridge - Rothay Bridge. Sunshine and clouds, the cloud base just catching the highest tops; some patchy snow visible just below that. A breeze from the north. No precipitation. Terrain anything from damp to saturated - slippery in places. Not many about, though there were quite a few walkers sitting and taking in the view at each top.

The 260s: whilst they provide good cushioning underneath, I found them a bit stiff at the sides, so they rub my little toes more than the 255s. I will stuff them with paper to try and stretch them a bit. The 255s remain my current favourite shoe.

Master
    9.56 miles, 3,388 feet, 3 hours 44 minutes: Wansfell Pike from three sides, including once down and once up the race route to/from the kissing gate. Sunny, with some fluffy clouds well above the high tops. A strong cold wind from the north. No precipitation. It looks like almost all the snow has gone. Terrain anything from dry to saturated; slippery in places. Lots of walkers on the main routes; four fellow runners seen.

I did start off with drills and one and a half miles worth of strides in Borrans Park. It was so nice to be in the 255s again.

Day 2 of outdoor gym.
    Chainsaw, trees felled, several tonnes of wood lifted and carried. More felling, carrying and burning tomorrow and Monday, then a lot of axe work through the summer.
    Some people pay money to go to the gym, strange thing to do 🤔.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Chainsaw? You use this contraption instead of a saw that uses your own muscle power?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Chainsaw? You use this contraption instead of a saw that uses your own muscle power?
    OAPs are allowed an engine on their saw!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    12.18 miles, 3,319 feet, 4 hours 17 minutes: Elterwater Common - Silver How - Lang How - Swinescar Pike - Blea Rigg - Sergeant Man - High Raise - then back the way I had come. Sunshine and clouds, the cloud base being above the high tops. A cool breeze from the south east. No precipitation. Terrain mainly dry, though icy/crunchy/hard in places above 1,500 feet. Traction good as long as the ice was avoided. Plenty of walkers about; seven fellow runners seen.

Master
    8.21 miles, 3,435 feet, 3 hours 29 minutes: ODG - The Band - Crinkle Crags - Pike o'Blisco - ODG. Overcast, with the cloud base catching the high tops. A cold wind from the south east. No precipitation. Terrain widely frozen from the valley floor up, lots of ice. Very slippery in places. Microspikes carried but not used. Quite a few walkers about.

I was very glad to be triple layered top and bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    OAPs are allowed an engine on their saw!
    There are some good youtube videos of chopping down trees with an axe. eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCshw5x-Ezs. I don't know about you Moley, but this guy looks a bit more muscly than me, and it still takes him a long time to fell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    8.21 miles, 3,435 feet, 3 hours 29 minutes: ODG - The Band - Crinkle Crags - Pike o'Blisco - ODG. Overcast, with the cloud base catching the high tops. A cold wind from the south east. No precipitation. Terrain widely frozen from the valley floor up, lots of ice. Very slippery in places. Microspikes carried but not used. Quite a few walkers about.

I was very glad to be triple layered top and bottom.
    Mike

I assume the daily runs of this length have come about since you retired and I wondered if your presumably greater fitness has been reflected in the fell races you have done, possibly arresting any natural decline in performance because of aging, although I appreciate that there may not have been a lot of races in the "Covid years", even if there were before?

Graham

(Mmmh. My question reminds me of when Johnny Rogan asked Gene Clark (ex-Byrds) a question that fills a complete page of his book - and Gene Clark responds briefly to say "I dont know"!).
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".