Page 204 of 304 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214254 ... LastLast
Results 2,031 to 2,040 of 3033

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    11.07 miles, 3,389 feet, 4 hours 7 minutes: Elterwater Common - Swinescar Pike - Blea Rigg - just above Stickle Tarn - Sergeant Man - Blea Rigg - Swinescar Pike - Lang How - Silver How - Elterwater Common. Sunny, with some high clouds; a gentle cool breeze from the south. Terrain dry and firm with good grip. Not many walkers about, but today's Kendal Winter League race was based at Elterwater - it goes to Silver How and back - so lots of fell runners seen.

Good race, elterwater, if I could afford petrol I'd have gone.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Good race, elterwater, if I could afford petrol I'd have gone.
    I have done them all except Barbon and Sallows. The only one I did not like was Whitestones - running around the perimeter of a waterlogged field is hardly fun. It is a shame the senior races do not start until 1 o'clock, and you need to get there early as there are often parking issues. Having said that, they are great for families if the children also run.

I've got a mind to do a full Bofra season one year. But would probably mean binning everything else off and having it as full priority, so it's just not on the cards quite yet.

Just a slight worry how a season of only running really short races would affect me the next year going back to longer stuff (although i'm sure it would benefit me in other ways)

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I have never done a BOFRA race, and these short, brutal races don't really appeal to me - with one exception. Some day, before I am too old, I would like to do the race up Kirkfell at the Wasdale Head Show: the unremitting steepness up 2400 feet of climbing (and descent!) is something I would like to experience in a race.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I have never done a BOFRA race, and these short, brutal races don't really appeal to me - with one exception. Some day, before I am too old, I would like to do the race up Kirkfell at the Wasdale Head Show: the unremitting steepness up 2400 feet of climbing (and descent!) is something I would like to experience in a race.
    I've walked up a couple of times and racing up it would certainly be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I've walked up a couple of times and racing up it would certainly be painful.
    Racing down it would be painful too!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    9.13 miles, 2,493 feet, 2 hours 47 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Roman Ruins - Borrans Park - Stagshaw Gardens - Kelsick Scar - Wansfell Pike from two sides - race route descent - Ambleside. Overcast and very foggy at first, later the cloud base was at about 1,200 feet. Very still, not even a gentle breeze. Intermittent drizzle/light rain. Terrain damp, but traction was surprisingly good. Very few about.

Master
    11.87 miles, 3,570 feet, 3 hours 43 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Roman Ruins - Borrans Park - Waterhead Steps - Wansfell Pike - Wansfell true top - Kirkstone Inn - Red Screes - Roundhill Farm - Ambleside. Sunshine and clouds, the cloud base just catching some of the highest tops. A cool breeze from the north. No rain. Terrain anything from dry to saturated: slippery in places. I only saw about twenty people whilst I was out.

Master
    9.48 miles, 2,888 feet, 2 hours 53 minutes: Loughrigg trails, including Todd and Ivy Crags, Lily Tarn, Loughrigg top, and down to the road at High Close. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet; patchy snow below that to about 2,000 feet. A strong cold wind from the north; a few brief light snow flurries. Terrain damp, but grip was good. Quite a few walkers and bikers about; no other runners seen.