Page 210 of 303 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210211212220260 ... LastLast
Results 2,091 to 2,100 of 3025

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    13.2 miles, 3,374 feet, 3 hours 54 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe c/w from Rothay Bridge, taking the four grassy trods to the left on the ascent, going to the left of the main track on the Fairfield plateau, to the right of Hart and Dove Crags, and around and back up and under the Rock Step. Overcast with the cloud base at about 800 feet, and some misty patches below that. Intermittent drizzle/light rain; a moderate breeze from the south. Terrain wet/saturated; the rocks in particular were slippery. Eleven walkers seen on the fell.

Master
    10.09 miles, 2,897 feet, 3 hours 7 minutes: Loughrigg trails, ascending via Fishgarths Wood, descending past the old golf club to Miller Bridge, and taking in Todd and Ivy Crags, Lily Tarn, Loughrigg top, and down to the road at High Close. Sunshine and clouds, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet. No significant rain nor wind. Terrain damp with good grip. Not many walkers about; one fellow runner seen.

Two cuckoos heard.

Master
    10.63 miles, 3,959 feet, 4 hours 2 minutes: Travellers Rest - Winterseeds - Grisedale Tarn - Helvellyn - Grisedale Tarn - Seat Sandal - Winterseeds - Travellers Rest. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet. No significant wind nor rain. Terrain dry/damp with good grip. Not many walkers about; no other runners seen.

Ascending/descending to/from Dollywagon Pike I went next to the wall on the grass - it is very steep but the 260 V2s have brilliant grip. Higher up I kept to the edge overlooking Red Tarn - not that I could see it - rather more interesting than just making a bee-line for the shelter.

Master
    10.66 miles, 2,709 feet, 3 hours 23 minutes: Wansfell Pike from two sides, taking in the Roman Ruins, Borrans Park, Stagshaw Gardens, the Champion Tree Trail, Wansfell true top, and the race descent. Initially sunshine and clouds, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet; soon the clouds lowered to about 600 feet and it began to drizzle/rain lightly. A moderate breeze from the west. Not cold - waterproof top not used. Terrain initially dry, later damp/wet but with good grip apart from smooth rocks. Not many about on the fell, though Borrans Park was busy.

I did some drills and 2 miles worth of strides in Borrans Park - approximately 20 sets of strides to the mile.

Master
    10.04 miles, 3,604 feet, 3 hours 53 minutes: NDG - Harrison Stickle - Thunacar Knott - High Raise - Sergeant's Crag - High Raise (the other top) - Sergeant Man - Stickle Tarn - NDG. Overcast, with the cloud base just catching some of the highest tops; occasional patches of blue sky. No rain, no significant wind. Terrain mainly dry with good grip. Not many walkers about; no other runners seen; car parks very busy.

I like Sergeant's Crag & Eagle Crag.... good hours short outing from Stonethwaite... east from Sergeant's Crag down into Greenup is absolutely desolate...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I like Sergeant's Crag & Eagle Crag.... good hours short outing from Stonethwaite... east from Sergeant's Crag down into Greenup is absolutely desolate...
    This was my first visit to Sergeant's Crag - it is a shame there is not a better path connecting it directly to High Raise. Perhaps there is and I missed it.

The original Wainwright book shows an intermittent track, but only across the col.

I don't have the updated Wainwright book for the Central Fells though.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    This was my first visit to Sergeant's Crag - it is a shame there is not a better path connecting it directly to High Raise. Perhaps there is and I missed it.
    There are bits of well trodden fell and the odd sheep trod but nothing you could really call a good path. Aiming right of long crag is the best line from sergeants crag to high raise.
    It is a lovely area though - fine scenery and very quiet even on a busy weekend.
    An excellent area to run from Stonethwaite as Travs says and some of my favourites. Eagle and sergeants crags to High raise and then a circuit of as many of the langdales as you fancy and back via Greenup or a shorter, easier route down to stake pass and return via Langstrath. Both equally glorious
    Last edited by PeteS; 07-05-2022 at 06:45 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    13.05 miles, 3,623 feet, 4 hours 46 minutes: Travellers Rest - Greenburn Bottom - Calf Crag - Sergeant Man - Calf Crag - Steel Fell - Calf Crag - Greenburn Bottom - Travellers Rest. Sunshine and clouds, the cloud base being above the tops. No rain, a moderate breeze from the south east. Terrain dry with good grip. Not many walkers about; one fellow runner who said he saw me yesterday.

Lots of cyclists doing the Fred. Despite all they had done they were not hanging about.