Page 74 of 303 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Lovely out early doors fantastic inversion complete with Brocken Spectre for company
    Ah, an admission that you've been up on the high fells.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Possibly not - I live in Kendal and there was an inversion on Scout Scar this morning during my PDE

10.5 miles and 1350ft of climbing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Possibly not - I live in Kendal and there was an inversion on Scout Scar this morning during my PDE

10.5 miles and 1350ft of climbing
    I obviously need to get out earlier in the morning. I can't recall ever experiencing an inversion at such a modest altitude; but I'm sure there have been foggy mornings here where I might have done if I'd got off my butt and up Beacon Hill.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    12.44 miles, 3,268 feet, 3 hours 13 minutes, Fairfield Horseshoe. About 30 on the fell, mainly in pairs. A bit too warm in the sun, lovely in the shade. The recent rain has softened the ground nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I obviously need to get out earlier in the morning. I can't recall ever experiencing an inversion at such a modest altitude; but I'm sure there have been foggy mornings here where I might have done if I'd got off my butt and up Beacon Hill.
    It’s definitely modest in height - the inversion was mostly in the Lyth valley side and there were fantastic ones on Windermere and Coniston

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Our village is 800 feet above sea level but Bakewell, at 350 feet, was enveloped in an inversion this morning which stretched as far as the eye could see down the Wye valley to Rowsley.

It is quite common, and if I'm going on a bike ride when one is present I head off uphill in the opposite direction as in autumn/winter it can be freezing cold in it and last for hours.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

It is quite common, and if I'm going on a bike ride when one is present I head off uphill in the opposite direction as in autumn/winter it can be freezing cold in it and last for hours.
    Actually that does remind me of an incident where I experienced an inversion at low level. I was cycling on the Lleyn peninsula and it was an extremely hot day (incredible though that may seem for North Wales ). But there was an Irish mist blowing in off the sea, and whenever I went down towards the coast there was a sudden temperature drop; although the cool air was a pleasant relief.
    Jorge Luis Borges

From home, via Brinscall to Great Hill and back via Roddlesworth and Tockholes.
    Super day.
    Could see what looked like a big fire between Warrington and St Helens from up Great Hill.

12.25 miles, 1500ft, 3:40

Now a pint of chilled Guinness
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Total of 40 miles along the Leeds-Liverpool Canal from Gannow Tunnel (South End), Burnley to milepost 76 1/4 (from Leeds) approaching Riley Green, west of Blackburn - and back.

My thoughts turned to Witton Park as I was zipping along through downtown Blackburn.

Yes, unlike the Leeds end, the canal there is really that dull!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 20-05-2020 at 11:17 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Out with the wife again on a 6.8 miles, 800 ft, 2 hour walk around the Beamers Trail.

It's our favourite local walk which we must have walked or run several hundred times. It would make a decent race, similar to the old Bowland Fell Race.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell