Page 57 of 131 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

I definitely crocked my back a bit at Turnslack, my left ITB is still doing for too much work. To add to this my second covid jab caused such a bad headache that my back hurt all the way down.

Only managed one rep of Tinshill Lane and two of Carr Bridge Drive before i had to call it. It was a very flat session, just like the ones you have after a long lay-off. I think the covid jab has hit my aerobic performance.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

50m on the bike yesterday, craven arms and back, the fire was on which was quite nice. David says he doesn't want to take cash ever again, card only.

I tried cycling uphill in the saddle a number of times to see what happened, normally this makes my knee medially sore. I can feel a bit today, but i think i got away with it. It seems to be much harder work than dancing on the pedals, which is my preference.

I've had to give in to the pain in my left leg, it needs a coat of looking at. I've only had one proper session in the last 3 weeks, which was Eldwick gala on saturday, and didn't i know it! This injury pattern is worsening in the long term and is therefore unsustainable.

Tightness and lack of mobility in my back, which i knew about already, is just one layer of this problem. A visit to the Podiatrist for a biomech analysis revealed one other layer at least, which is the tendancy for me to roll my foot outwards and take off from the smaller toes not the big toe. Tests revealed i claw with my toes too, which explains why the nails on my second toes end up damaged and bloody. All of this loads up the outside of your leg from the bottom up, while my lower back problems load it up from above. I'm going deeper than ever with the stretches and have an exercise to do before my next appointment in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile i have to be sensible with how much running i'm doing...easier said than done.

Crowden Horseshoe today, 8.5m/1700'. I've not done a meduim session for about 6wks now and i felt it. I decided to back-load my race and fast walk wherever possible; i plan these things before the day of the race and stick to them, planning a strategy on race day means you can make bad decisions where injuries are concerned (by getting too excited).

This meant i had to watch Tindersticks run off in front of me at the start when really i'd have liked to have been on his coat tails. There weren't too many useful descents and the course was very wet, with regular very heavy showers drenching you. The trods were tricky and i crocked both ankles at least once, but i think my ankle stability might be affected by the gait correction exercises the Podiatrist has given me.

I could feel crowden in my legs this morning as I set off in the drizzle for a 50m craven arms and back. I encountered a shower so heavy in addingham that one of the street lights came on. The rain drenched my computer, but I think I managed a 16mph average.

More shit, back spasm at work on thursday, had to go home- i'd only been there half an hour. Couldn't do Pendleton today, the soreness is quite bad in the mornings, i'm going to have to keep my powder dry for Bootle Show. I did manage to get out for 5 Cragg Hill Drive reps this afternoon when i felt looser, but it was a bit of a disaster. The fifth and final rep was over 2mins, i felt really bogged down and flat as a fart.

It's been pointed out to me that this month long back episode coincided with my second covid jab, from which i got a horrible reaction. It's been suggested that all my inflammatory conditions have responded, not just my immune response. Apparently i'm not the only one having trouble.

Ran at Bootle show today, 7.8m 2050'. Whenever I turn up at a race recently, I know I'm slow because of having to back off full training. I don't really get into the swing of it and never find myself in that flow state where performance is effortless. It's a bit of a bummer really. I picked a few places up on the way down, but staggered over the line tbh.

This is shit. I woke up on tuesday morning with a nasty pain in the peroneal tendon termination on the side of my left foot, for no reason at all really. I don't know how it got there or when it plans to leave, it's a little bit like being visited by an alien spacecraft. The chiropractor reset my foot, but it's a stubborn one and it threatens to derail some key races in 50@50. Its alright when injuries have a detectable pathology, but this is a mystery. I feel very depressed.

Sorry to hear that... hope to see you at Dufton tomorrow if you're still racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Sorry to hear that... hope to see you at Dufton tomorrow if you're still racing.
    I phoned Morgan and told him he could substitute my entry, it wasn't going to happen. I used to cross my fingers and not let injury hold me back, but i'm not that guy any longer, it was painful being that guy and it took a long time to learn.

Went for the 9m speed endurance route today, ACW loop of Thruscross starting and finishing at Swinsty car park, but walked in at 7m. I could feel everything starting to strain a bit and i'd had a fairly good run up to that point. My leg speed is gone, i'm slow as hell and blowing quite a lot. You need the fast rate of cadence to get right up there into the red zone, you have to have quick legs and mine are slow.

I've discovered that Dit Da Jow is quite effective on this foot problem, i've managed to get it under control somewhat. Soak a half piece of kitchen towel in it and compress it on by wrapping cling film round the foot.