Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: LDMT why not more popular

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    I had the pleasure of marshaling at CP5 on the Classic and breaking the bad/good news to runners coming through. It was unfortunate for those who were looking strong, and understandable why some were disappointed, though most folk took it well (and there were definitely a few relieved smiles). Everyone got down safe off the hill, which is the important thing.

Chapeau! to everyone who took part in some pretty testing conditions.
    Top marks to you, Hank, for marshalling and giving up so much of your time. The news that the race had been abandoned was welcomed by me. I was starting to struggle by CP5 and the thought of going back over allen crags to get to kirk fell was grinding away at me. As luck would have it I arrived at CP5 at a similar time to Steve Birkinshaw, Jim Mann and John Hunt. I enjoyed a wonderful star-struck descent down to Seatoller. Sometimes it does pay to be slow and incompetent. Thanks for the flapjack at CP5.

That was my first attempt at the mountain trial - it will take some time to get over it! Classic in every sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Well I was loving it, but can se why it was called off, mainly for the Marshals' sake as it can't have been much fun up there - those at CP5 almost looked a bit put out that I could retreat from the hill whilst they had to stay out

Anyway, claiming a win on Duckworth-Lewis method...
    Excellent run from you, Nic - I can imagine you were in your element!

Fair point about the marshals, but the ones at Blackbeck Tarn still had to stay out until their closure time for us early starters on the Medium who finished.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Fair point about the marshals, but the ones at Blackbeck Tarn still had to stay out until their closure time for us early starters on the Medium who finished.
    Yep, we were in place until the advertised closing time too. We weren't party to the discussions in deciding to abandon, but I'd be pretty certain the priority would have been to get runners down from the tops first and foremost. The staffed CPs all had Raynet comms, fellow marshals on hand, lots of food/drink supplies, bothy bags and a fixed location... luxuries runners are without!

After packing up we tracked back over to CP4 and found one hardy competitor still making his way towards CP5, well after the advertised (on the map) closing time. Despite the event having been abandoned, the CP closed, dismantled and in my rucksack, he still wanted to dib the control box. Must've been an orienteer...
    Geoff Clarke

Just a quick thanks to the marshals and the race organisers. A tough day to be marshaling and a tough day to be a race organiser.

Making those decisions are difficult as you are trying to balance competitor safety with a mountain challenge whilst trying to second guess the weather. For that reason you have to respect and honour their decision as it is a blanket decision for all competitors.

Personally was running well and was warm and comfortable but was thinking on the way to CP5 its going to be a bit windy top of Kirkfell. Unfortunatly on arrival at CP5 and being told it was cancelled I didn't dib and just headed off to Seatoller.

@hank I may have asked the most stupid question of the day, when you told me it was cancelled I did ask why? I think I was just a bit surprised as the weather did not seem as bad as it had earlier in the day.

A huge thanks to the marshals and race organisers yesterday.

My first LDMT and definitely the first of many, also my first full nav event. I did the short in a pair and got round. Fantastic route but like all have said, some testing conditions...the wind must be at some speed if it nearly blows me over at just shy of 14 stone!

We got lucky with an 8:52 start time, even Dale Head was stunning, there was cloud on either side of the valley but a clear view straight down to Newlands, with a small rainbow in the middle...amazing!
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Back to the event though - to get from Styhead to Kirk Fell I decided to take the traversing path on the Wasdale side of Gable and it took me an eternity. Was that simply a stupid choice or did I not pick up the proper path in the mist maybe? I wonder if I'd have been better going via Windy Gap.
    Bet it didn't take you as long as me! Styhead to Kirk Fell was my low point of the day. I intended taking the traversing path round the side of Gable too. I thought I'd found it, then it seemed to disappear. I persevered for a little while until the rocks and loose stones in front of me looked very unappealing. I decided to bail out at this point, dropped towards Wasdale and climbed back up to Beck Head (cursing myself all the way).

I'll add my thanks to the organisers and marshals too. It was my first time but I'll be back for more.

Back to the event though - to get from Styhead to Kirk Fell I decided to take the traversing path on the Wasdale side of Gable and it took me an eternity. Was that simply a stupid choice or did I not pick up the proper path in the mist maybe? I wonder if I'd have been better going via Windy Gap.
    I think I would have gone that side (on the Classic so didn't get the chance) but Dave Fenwick (controller) reckoned the Windy Gap side was best option, particularly in that weather when it would be more sheltered (?).

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    That was my first attempt at the mountain trial - it will take some time to get over it! Classic in every sense.
    But will you be back for more?

Quote Originally Posted by CalFerguson View Post
    We got lucky with an 8:52 start time, even Dale Head was stunning, there was cloud on either side of the valley but a clear view straight down to Newlands, with a small rainbow in the middle...amazing!
    Ah! you were the two in the nice matching red jackets that set off with me then! Nice tattoos as well!

Quote Originally Posted by dangilbert View Post
    Bet it didn't take you as long as me! Styhead to Kirk Fell was my low point of the day. I intended taking the traversing path round the side of Gable too. I thought I'd found it, then it seemed to disappear. I persevered for a little while until the rocks and loose stones in front of me looked very unappealing. I decided to bail out at this point, dropped towards Wasdale and climbed back up to Beck Head (cursing myself all the way).
    You're right, by 25 minutes! I just kept persevering and the path just came and went.

Quote Originally Posted by gaw View Post
    I think I would have gone that side (on the Classic so didn't get the chance) but Dave Fenwick (controller) reckoned the Windy Gap side was best option, particularly in that weather when it would be more sheltered (?).
    I'm sure it would've been more sheltered. As I left the stretcher box to head round for the path I was hit by a massive blast of wind/rain/hail coming straight up the valley. I should have realised it was trying to tell me something!

Quote Originally Posted by gaw View Post
    But will you be back for more?
    On Sunday night the answer would have been a resounding no. On Monday it would have been a 'probably not'. Today, I'm starting to think it wasn't that bad after all and that I really did enjoy myself. See you next year!