Thread: 4 weeks until a 13 miler.

Super Moderator

Re: 4 weeks until a 13 miler.

Quote Originally Posted by OneHillWonder View Post
    wonder how he has got/is getting on
    Been thinking same OHW Hope weathers better in Lanc than it is in Yorks

I did it and loved it.

There was about 20 other runners including pacman!.
    I was talking to a few of them and i seemed to be a right lightweight compared to them. One guy was running with a full rucksack because he was training for the marathon de saab thingy. So i wasn’t too confident about it as i had only ever done 10 miles - and that was on the road.

We started together but the majority where going at a slower pace than im comfortable with (doing the 22.5 miles) so i over took them and was third for a while.

I was in front after about mile 2 and i seemed to get quite a way in front of everyone.....until i got hopelessly lost around mile 5-6 and ended up having to scale the side of billinge hill to the checkpoint allowing alot of people to catch up.

I seemed to get a competitive burst at the first checkpoint as a few of us where not sure where it was, but when we spotted it i suddenly had to get there first
    As from the checkpoint onwards it all new territory to me so i stuck with this guy running in a Liverpool shirt.

Again i got the 2nd checkpoint first, and this is where i went back on the route slightly to join the 13 mile route back to the start/finish.

At about mile 11 or 12 my legs started to say no and that they'd had enough exercise for the day....so the last bit was abit painful.

The organisers where so friendly and i even got a cheer for being the first back.

But all in all it was a brill run and i'll defo be back next year...and maybe attempt the 22.5 miler and see how many times i can get lost.....and see how badly i can get to stink of cow shite again haha

Super Moderator

Well done Al on a great run and an excellent report

So what's next?

Nice one Al
    Hills and Guinness!

Whats next, hmm i dont know really.
    I need to build the milage up really because the only thing that felt tired was my legs, my stamina is fine and have no probs there.

This guy was talking to me whilst we ate our pie and mushy pies, trying to talk me into the doing the Anglezarke Amble in feb....but thats 24 miles and theres no way i'll be able to manage that.

And he also mentioned the 'xx circuit' which he called the "two crosses". Thats either 18 or 25. I think with a bit of trainin, 18 shouldnt be too bad.

Well done Al. LDWA events are great for running - not too many runners, no pressure to make checkpoints and, if the walkers have a head start, plenty of people to reel in as you trot round. I loved the Malhamdale Meander earlier in the year.

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    And he also mentioned the 'xx circuit' which he called the "two crosses". Thats either 18 or 25. I think with a bit of trainin, 18 shouldnt be too bad.
    I did the two crosses last year, it's alright you should manage that easy. There's four months between now and then.
    Once you've done that youy should look at doing Rombald's STride, Troller's Trot etc. These events aren't racing as such and are good to get your fitness up!

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    ... if the walkers have a head start, plenty of people to reel in as you trot round. .
    The walkers started at 8;30 whereas the runners started at 9:30. I caught the first lot of walkers up at only 3.5 miles what they hell they'd been doing i dont know.

The walkers are also good route guides

Well done Al.
    I was running round with my regular training partner, managed the 23 miles in 4hrs 5mins. Took it very easy for first 10miles and very slowly increased the pace, just found the last 3 miles tough. Pleased in a way as with each long run, endurance seems to be improving. My training partner seemed to be bounding along like a gazelle. We manage to finish before the heavy rains started. As always with LDWA events good grub at the end and well organised.
    The anglezark amble is a very good event. Gets a lot more runners of all abilities doing it, sometimes 100+

Pacman. I had slight navigation problems when i got to pleasington priory. The instructions said go right at the footpath after the church but i couldnt see a fp sign so just went right down the lane. Eventaully ended up in pleasington crematorium. Found a path that went through the crem to the base of billinge hill. But i had to climb up the side of the hill where i came out by the water/food station.
    It was only a few minutes before you all arrived.

Can you tell me for next time where exactly to go from the proiry to the water-station.