Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lactate or power?

My two penneth worth...

Lack of speed endurance. Nothing new to read here, speedwork and some weight work will be the best remedy. Speedwork alongside weights will work wonders.

For the record, alongside my running/climbing, I do a hefty amount of squats (nothing too heavy, maybe 30kg) 4-6 days a week. I am not holding myself up as a pinnacle of running performance, but it's certainly helping me... don't forget the specific core work either...

Tried another weights session today, upped it to 15 a side 3x15 reps. Left knee problems in last set, under the kneecap again, fleshy bits above both kneecaps feeling strained. It's definitely confirmed there is a training need, i didn't really push that hard and it's left me pretty sore. Only issue is i might end up backing off with the weight to the point where i don't feel strained any longer, and at this stage there might be no point as in no condition gained.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    It sounds like you are getting some inflammation where the quads tendon inserts into the top of the kneecap - I would suggest no more weights until this settles. Do some squats/lunges without weights instead, but leave even these alone if the discomfort does not settle quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    It sounds like you are getting some inflammation where the quads tendon inserts into the top of the kneecap - I would suggest no more weights until this settles. Do some squats/lunges without weights instead, but leave even these alone if the discomfort does not settle quickly.
    I've had that 'inflammation' ever since january 2012, it won't settle in any way dispite no running in the first year and a half. It will go away after a few days nowadays, but come straight back any time i try the same again, the best way i can describe it is that i'm permanently damaged in some way and rest in the long term solves nothing. I've tried every combination of everything, but still it persists, year on year i notice it trending towards getting better. That is what my comeback thread is really about, trying to find a way to fight this permanent tendonitis thing, it's not really a record of a training program as such. If you have any ideas how to get rid of something that resembles permanent tendonitis do shout up, like i say i've tried every combination of everything.

I've got some right doms today, there's definitely a training need here. After the running i've been doing up to press i was expecting less soreness from the weights, i didn't hit it all that hard either. I think i've got away with the tendon thing too, i'm going to leave it 2wks before another go just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I've got some right doms today, there's definitely a training need here. After the running i've been doing up to press i was expecting less soreness from the weights, i didn't hit it all that hard either. I think i've got away with the tendon thing too, i'm going to leave it 2wks before another go just to be safe.
    Maybe there was something in what I said. Forgot to mention the other thing that slows runners down is the "central governor" a build up of pain that your brain reacts to, by putting the brakes on. The other thing (or one of the major pains) is muscle damage before you even know you have any.

Central Governor? That's what it's called eh, i just call it that little voice in me ed. Unfortunately i have to listen to it quite a lot because it warns me of when i'm approaching a zone where i'm risking problems with the issues rambled about in post 24 above. This leads me onto an interesting point about the weights though, which is that i've driven a change in muscle condition with comparatively little ill-effect given how bad my knees might be after a hill interval session say. I don't know whether i can keep it up, but the efficiency of it is undeniable.