Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea salted things No!

Sea salted things No!

Caramel, ice cream, chocolate etc etc, Mrs DTR just offered me a perfectly fine bar of chocolate, but with the addition of sea salt why I don’t know, does nowt for me

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Anything potato, yes. Anything else, definitely no.

I’ve just noticed it has Anglesey sea salt, surely this doesn’t matter, the sea just generally floats about and so I would imagine tastes the same wherever it is (unless it the Dead Sea)

I like a square or two of dark chocolate and the Aldi own brand Moser Roth is spot on. They also do a sea salt which I agree is "not right" and also a chilli which is doubly "not right".
    Whilst we are on the flavour subject I have just come home from the local following a couple of pints from the Three Brothers Brewery which was nice, however whilst there I was asked to try a strawberry flavoured real ale from the Navigation Brewery. As soon as Jacob started pulling it the smell was putrid and the small taste I had was no better.
    Why do these people have to mess with tried and tested flavours. Its not right!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Isn't there a bit of a myth about sea salt being healthier than normal table salt? Gram for gram it still has the same amount of sodium though.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    I’ve just noticed it has Anglesey sea salt, surely this doesn’t matter, the sea just generally floats about and so I would imagine tastes the same wherever it is (unless it the Dead Sea)
    I think the Anglesey sea salt has a certain Je ne said quoi from Wylfa nuclear power station.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I think the Anglesey sea salt has a certain Je ne said quoi from Wylfa nuclear power station.
    Ha, I’ll have to get a bit more down me, it would save on headtorch batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I like a square or two of dark chocolate and the Aldi own brand Moser Roth is spot on. They also do a sea salt which I agree is "not right" and also a chilli which is doubly "not right".
    Whilst we are on the flavour subject I have just come home from the local following a couple of pints from the Three Brothers Brewery which was nice, however whilst there I was asked to try a strawberry flavoured real ale from the Navigation Brewery. As soon as Jacob started pulling it the smell was putrid and the small taste I had was no better.
    Why do these people have to mess with tried and tested flavours. Its not right!
    I agree on the Moser Roth chocolate, Mrs DTR doesn’t buy it cos it’s too nice, as for the strawberry beer, I have tried a few fruit beers, some reasonable, so less reasonable but generally not the sort of thing that I would revisit, but of all of them, strawberry has always been the worst, the taste just overpowers the beer

Some 'interesting' flavours and combinations are done well; some less so. I often wonder with some smaller breweries who tells them their sub-homebrew-quality produce is worth selling. Then again you can go back a few years later and they've worked out what they're doing and nailed it, so maybe not nixing it in the early stages was a good call!

Most salted caramel/chocolate I've had I can't really taste much difference going on.

heaven forfend people having different tastes! If we all only ate bovril and drank marmite it'd be a dull world!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Some 'interesting' flavours and combinations are done well; some less so. I often wonder with some smaller breweries who tells them their sub-homebrew-quality produce is worth selling. Then again you can go back a few years later and they've worked out what they're doing and nailed it, so maybe not nixing it in the early stages was a good call!

Most salted caramel/chocolate I've had I can't really taste much difference going on.

heaven forfend people having different tastes! If we all only ate bovril and drank marmite it'd be a dull world!
    Marmite, now that is controversial