Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhobell Fawr

Rhobell Fawr this Saturday?

Anyone planning on doing this little gem on Saturday, think it's 6 miles with 1900ft of climbing, in the interestingly located Llanfachreth near Dolgellau.

As I recall quite a gradual climb, never that steep, mainly grassy, numerous false summits.......I think it follows the wall up, a series of massive grassy steps...........followed by a super, grassy descent.

Also if it's clear one of the best views in Snowdonia, as it's right slap, bang in middle!, and to the east is the super nice kept secret of the Duallt ridge, a hidden "cannon" Tryfan style to be found on it's east slope........

Re: Rhobell Fawr this Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by RhosgadMath View Post
    Anyone planning on doing this little gem on Saturday, think it's 6 miles with 1900ft of climbing, in the interestingly located Llanfachreth near Dolgellau.

As I recall quite a gradual climb, never that steep, mainly grassy, numerous false summits.......I think it follows the wall up, a series of massive grassy steps...........followed by a super, grassy descent.

Also if it's clear one of the best views in Snowdonia, as it's right slap, bang in middle!, and to the east is the super nice kept secret of the Duallt ridge, a hidden "cannon" Tryfan style to be found on it's east slope........
    Both, Dduallt and Rhobell Fawr, are included in my "Meirionnydd Round", a sub-24h challenge I did some years ago. The stretch from Moel Llyfnant to Dduallt in the round, is a long treck through some great wilderness.
    After Rhobell Fawr came Aran Benllyn.
    Anyone interested to have a go? It includes the groups: Cadair Idris, Rhinogs, Migneint, Arenigs, Arans and Dyfi Fforest.
    Yiannis

Be interested to know about that, do you have a schedule?

Cheers

Iain

Anyway the wife is I think, I've a game in Blaenau Ffestiniog so may come for the start then go to football for 1:00. Petty as I really fancied doing this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Both, Dduallt and Rhobell Fawr, are included in my "Meirionnydd Round", a sub-24h challenge I did some years ago. The stretch from Moel Llyfnant to Dduallt in the round, is a long treck through some great wilderness.
    After Rhobell Fawr came Aran Benllyn.
    Anyone interested to have a go? It includes the groups: Cadair Idris, Rhinogs, Migneint, Arenigs, Arans and Dyfi Fforest.
    Yiannis
    A short while back I was loking details for your Meirionydd Round, I remember you writing it up in the Fellrunner, but couldn't find the copy anywhere (I give loads of them away). Couldn't find anything on the internet either.
    Any chance of posting it again somewhere ? Am I correct in thinking you did it solo without support, or am I mixing that with another of your adventures?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

It's a cracking race particularly if the weather's fine - don't go too close to the wall all the way as you'll be doing too much up and down! Try to think about contouring within a zone about 20 yards to the left going up and in reverse coming down.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Be interested to know about that, do you have a schedule?

Cheers

Iain

Anyway the wife is I think, I've a game in Blaenau Ffestiniog so may come for the start then go to football for 1:00. Petty as I really fancied doing this one.
    I will soon update a website I use for the Areng Fawr race and will include challenge Schedules.
    Yiannis

Cheers Yiannis.

Great race but if I remember parking is a bit tight so would advise car sharing.

Details of Yiannis's Merionydd Round is now on his website.

Looks a fair old trip!

http://yiannistridimas.tripod.com/

Wow - what a route, looks superb!

Some really wild bits though, how about the bit around Arenig Fach - "Migneint" country, chest high heather and above your head deep bogs and then to finish off with the superb ridges down near Dinas Mawddwy - excellent!!

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Details of Yiannis's Merionydd Round is now on his website.

Looks a fair old trip!

http://yiannistridimas.tripod.com/