Page 28 of 300 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Don't take the piss GB
    The old boy is also slowing down, since it must have taken him 4.20
    He’s hoping nobody noticed the 42W motor in those wide bianchi tubes!

12.3 miles, it's giving me 1200ft but I reckon 900-1000ft. 3:43

Canal, Brinscall (where we decided against including Great Hill) Roddlesworth, home.

Strange thing is my Strava is default set up for a run, so when I edit and convert to a walk, it increased the ascent from 1,000ft to 1200ft!

Met an old frind of ours on the dam in Roddlesworth and had a good chat at safe distance. Then met an old primary school make of WPette's at the high point of today's walk in Tockholes. She's around 24 now, was out on a run and haven't seen her since she stopped hurdling at the club at around 15.

It was windy at times.
    Last edited by Witton Park; 05-04-2020 at 04:12 PM.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

A very gentle walk with the Missus today, took the clippers round to a footpath I've been clearing and gave the brambles a haircut before they swamp the path again. Nice walk in the sunshine.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Banned
    A few miles round the block on a bike, dodging kamikaze kids on bikes!

8 mile run for me today including my local park, Temple Newsam. Normally it would be rammed on a day like today. But it was fairly quiet with walkers and runners keeping their distance.

Worrying comments from Hancock this morning threatening to ban exercise. This seemingly in response to some people sunbathing in parks yesterday. I think this would be a terrible response. Getting out once a day is the only thing keeping many people sane.

Master
    13 miles, 3,700 ft - over Loughrigg to Silver Howe and back the same way. Not as warm/sunny as promised, but perfect for running. Some people needed reminding to go to one side - more about today than on any other lockdown day, but still not many.
    A total exercise ban would be self defeating and illogical - a bit like banning all driving because some are going outside their local area - people would defy it - and they would then defy other rules as well.

Banned
    Hancock is confused between exercise and outdoor activities.

Be a shame to see exercise banned but there are people on here are doing too much in my opinion.

Always the same though. The minority will spoil it for the majority. This is where our society is poor. Bring the minorities to justice.
    Don't punish us all.

It depends how you look at it... what about your 20km bike rides... taking you much further away from your home, even though it might take you less than two hours to complete your ride. Someone might take that long to do a 5 mile walk round their local streets...

What about GB's 42 mile ride.... on the face of it sounds a lot, but probably took him less time out the house than WP's 9 mile walk...?

Don't think you can go round claiming that people are doing too much...

Ten days or so back i made a non-essential (in a lot of people's eyes) journey to pick up a treadmill... but apart from a couple of shopping trips, i've not had to leave my house/garage since then...

We could all theoretically do less, until we're doing nothing at all. I don't think we should be so quick to judge each other...

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Worrying comments from Hancock this morning threatening to ban exercise. This seemingly in response to some people sunbathing in parks yesterday. I think this would be a terrible response. Getting out once a day is the only thing keeping many people sane.
    Nobody is being prevented from going outside, they can go for a gentle walk, run, bike so long as they do that and keep apart. This is not acceptable:
    It comes as Brockwell Park in Lambeth was forced to close on Sunday after more than 3,000 people spent the day there sunbathing or in large groups on Saturday.

If a percentage of the population continue to act like idiots, we will be treated like idiots. Hopefully a few threats and some sabre rattling will have the desired effect. But if we are shut down, it is not the government I shall blame, but us.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post

If a percentage of the population continue to act like idiots, we will be treated like idiots. Hopefully a few threats and some sabre rattling will have the desired effect. But if we are shut down, it is not the government I shall blame, but us.
    How many people do we think were completely abusing their 'right' to go out and do what they want...? At the highest estimate, 50,000 people across the UK (sounds a lot to me), out of a population of 66 million...

That is something like 0.075% of the population of the UK... i think it will be a huge overreaction to lock everybody inside off the back of such a small minority taking the p**s... i'd much rather the police went out in force against those bbq'ing on the beach, etc, using the powers they already have, than granting permission to totally shut down society...
    Last edited by Travs; 05-04-2020 at 07:34 PM.