Page 51 of 83 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Old County Tops

Re: Old Counties Tops

That there lady was my partner Denise. She is always enthusiastic ( knowing exatly what its like herself)

Unfortuantley for me I didnt get the same entusiastic support, just a sympathetic arm round the shoulder. I had to call it a day at the three shires stone ( what a whimp)

Having battled back from C.O.M. in top 20 spot, I navigated Dawsy and I in to the crags above Hard Knot pass. It cost us at least 40 minutes as I got terrible cramp and stomach trouble. By the time I dragged myself up the pass I just couldn't face carrying on.

What a whalley - Will be back for more next year. Still unfinished business. having cocked it up twice now appologies to Dawsy

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy'sDog View Post
    Well said Alf. Great day. Big thanks and a hats off to AR and all the marshalls. Especially the lady hanging out of the car window,clapping us and egging us on down Wrynose pass when we were hanging out!
    Well done to all who ran.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorlander View Post
    That there lady was my partner Denise. She is always enthusiastic ( knowing exatly what its like herself)

Unfortuantley for me I didnt get the same entusiastic support, just a sympathetic arm round the shoulder. I had to call it a day at the three shires stone ( what a whimp)

Having battled back from C.O.M. in top 20 spot, I navigated Dawsy and I in to the crags above Hard Knot pass. It cost us at least 40 minutes as I got terrible cramp and stomach trouble. By the time I dragged myself up the pass I just couldn't face carrying on.

What a whalley - Will be back for more next year. Still unfinished business. having cocked it up twice now appologies to Dawsy
    Bad luck Dalo, and thanks to Denise for cheering me and Gerry on at Grisedale Tarn and Cockley Beck, as Tesco's says 'Every little helps'
    Hills and Guinness!

Re: Old Counties Tops Race

Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    I'm the guy who got left by his partner. It was pre arranged as he had to be in Manchester by eight to see a Roger Waters concert.(If you're old enough you'll know who he is). At £80 a ticket it was leave me or get a divorce. I'd had a groin injury since Wythburn and we'd slipped behind our planned schedule. As I was with a team from P & B who I knew there wasn't a safety problem. So before you chunter about spinning yarns get your facts right. I've known the guy for donkeys years and we've helped each other on the B.G. We've both got bags of experience and neither of us would consider running with someone who would deliberately leave us behind.
    Roger Waters
    Now didn't He write Brain Damaged.
    Thought I would print the lyrics for those few who haven't heard Darkside of the moon.

The lunatic is on the grass
    The lunatic is on the grass
    Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs
    Got to keep the loonies on the path
    The lunatic is in the hall
    The lunatics are in my hall
    The paper holds their folded faces to the floor
    And every day the paper boy brings more
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forbodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
    The lunatic is in my head
    The lunatic is in my head
    You raise the blade, you make the change
    You re-arrange me 'till I'm sane
    You lock the door
    And throw away the key
    There's someone in my head but it's not me.
    And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
    You shout and no one seems to hear
    And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Moorlander, I assume you mean Wrynose Pass. That crag you came up across is Mart crag, by Hell Gill, aptly name for a very good reason! You are not the first one to make that mistake. If one drops below the small path from the col to Little Carrs, they find their way barred by Hell Gill and in limited visibility they might try to go lower in order to get through. This is a mistake, as the best option remaining then is to drop to the road. In 1994 Steve Cliff and I were leading the race from Cockley Beck and in the clag we did just that. We ran up the road to the three Shires stone and on to finish a close but disappointed third!
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy'sDog View Post
    Well said Alf. Great day. Big thanks and a hats off to AR and all the marshalls. Especially the lady hanging out of the car window,clapping us and egging us on down Wrynose pass when we were hanging out!
    Well done to all who ran.
    I was hanging out the car window clapping folks down off Wet Side Edge. I've had enough of the 'first lady runner' comments. My hair was cut short. You simply cannot have mistaken me for a woman, please! Unless the person you refer to was someone other than me...

Oh, and Whome? Just read your post; you and your mate sound like a couple of selfish, thoughtless numpties who can't follow some basic instructions. Please don't turn up to any of the races organised by myself or my Club, I don't think you'd be welcome.
    Last edited by theNoor; 25-05-2011 at 10:03 PM.
    Why walk when you can run.

Yes, Yiannis you are right on all of these points. Im still really sick with myself for making this Gaff though, given I know the ridge well enough. I should have got my compass out before it was to late and Hell Gill was up on us.

ive hung my head in shame all week..........but back out this week end

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Moorlander, I assume you mean Wrynose Pass. That crag you came up across is Mart crag, by Hell Gill, aptly name for a very good reason! You are not the first one to make that mistake. If one drops below the small path from the col to Little Carrs, they find their way barred by Hell Gill and in limited visibility they might try to go lower in order to get through. This is a mistake, as the best option remaining then is to drop to the road. In 1994 Steve Cliff and I were leading the race from Cockley Beck and in the clag we did just that. We ran up the road to the three Shires stone and on to finish a close but disappointed third!
    Yiannis

Master

Yes, Yiannis you are right on all of these points. Im still really sick with myself for making this Gaff though, given I know the ridge well enough. I should have got my compass out before it was to late and Hell Gill was up on us.

ive hung my head in shame all week..........but back out this week end
    Hi Dale

I was looking out for you at the start but didnt spot you. I assumed you hadnt made the start and were the person dawsy was referring to when looking for a replacement partner late on last week. Will see you at Ants Paddy next week.

Simon

How ironic that Rodger Waters left his writing partner because of his own selfish insecurities and then spent the next few years spinning a yarn

I was looking for you to. Not at the finish though, I was to busy hanging my head in shame.................. Back to the Lakes this week end though so a chance to redeem myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Hi Dale

I was looking out for you at the start but didnt spot you. I assumed you hadnt made the start and were the person dawsy was referring to when looking for a replacement partner late on last week. Will see you at Ants Paddy next week.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Anybody know when results will be out?
    Within the next few days according to the website http://www.achille-ratti-climbing-cl...oldcountytops/
    Nice touch 'hugely' thanking all those who took part.
    'Huger' thanks to all those who organised and marshalled it:thumbup:
    Hills and Guinness!