Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    No 'picnics' but protest marches (again) are all OK at the height of a pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-55631618
    Anything is OK if it includes a bit of ethnicity.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Boris fancies a ride and bit of fresh air, security detail tell him that cycling through the centre of london with all the traffic and plenty of loonies who would be happy to take a swipe at him with their car (he is kind of recognizable) is a bad idea, verboten.
    Chuck his bike in the boot and take him to the park. Seems kind of sensible to me, but it makes a story for all the whingers.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Perhaps there was a cheeky bit of intent in what Boris did.

Stories of over-officious coppers handing out fines - pop in the car and drive 7 miles to a safe place to cycle - makes a point and quite publicly that the law actually allows it and the coppers had gone over the top.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Alas Anthony when you are PM you have to deal with the scurrilous attacks of the gutter press. And apart from The Guardian there are also the tabloids, snapping at one's heels like rabid dogs....
    Shame on you Graham, criticising the Guardian based on what I’m assuming you assume it said. On the Boris biking thing they’ve been pretty fair from what I’ve seen. The best was from Marina Hyde as usual who suggested that 7 miles away wasn’t nearly far enough for Boris https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e_iOSApp_Other

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Shame on you Graham, criticising the Guardian based on what I’m assuming you assume it said. On the Boris biking thing they’ve been pretty fair from what I’ve seen. The best was from Marina Hyde as usual who suggested that 7 miles away wasn’t nearly far enough for Boris https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e_iOSApp_Other
    Good joke. But Marina should have stopped there before the same old - same old vitriol.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Perhaps there was a cheeky bit of intent in what Boris did.

Stories of over-officious coppers handing out fines - pop in the car and drive 7 miles to a safe place to cycle - makes a point and quite publicly that the law actually allows it and the coppers had gone over the top.
    I suspect this was the case, which will probably go down well with a lot of people, especially those in his party and more broadly who view the current restrictions as an affront to their civil liberties. I suspect they'll also be a whole bunch of others who see it as evidence of the confusing nature of what we're being asked to do e.g. stay local, etc.

Personally, I think it'd better to have very explicit rules on exercise that firmed up the 'local' aspect (i.e. do not exceed x miles from your home). It would be annoying for some (myself included), but it's not forever and would remove the ambiguity around stuff like Johnson's bike ride.
    Geoff Clarke

Come to Wales, exercise starts and finishes at our front door, quite straightforward actually.
    If people want to moan that they live in the middle of a city and can't get into the hills (which are only a few miles away after all and I drive further to the supermarket, blah, blah, blah), well that is tough.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I don't understand why there is such a fuss about people exercising again. I thought we'd learned from the first lockdown that transmission of the virus outside is considerably more difficult than inside. The number of infections from this source must be tiny. It is crowded indoor venues where the virus is mainly spread. Not so long ago people were being encouraged to exercise more to reduce obesity and prevent them from being badly affected if they caught Covid.

It seems to me there are much more obvious targets to address, supermarkets for a start. In the first lockdown they restricted the numbers entering and some had one way systems. Not anymore, now it is a complete free for all. I went to Tesco's the other and day it was chock a block.

I must admit i've pretty much breezed through the entire Coronavirus... obviously i've complied with everything and not put myself in harm's way... but i've never felt at risk as long as i'm sensible (benefit of being relatively young and healthy i guess).

But been in the supermarket a couple of times since new year and it is now one place i'm pretty hesitant to go to unless a complete necessity... absolutely packed. And in the week before xmas they were even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I don't understand why there is such a fuss about people exercising again. I thought we'd learned from the first lockdown that transmission of the virus outside is considerably more difficult than inside. The number of infections from this source must be tiny. It is crowded indoor venues where the virus is mainly spread. Not so long ago people were being encouraged to exercise more to reduce obesity and prevent them from being badly affected if they caught Covid.

It seems to me there are much more obvious targets to address, supermarkets for a start. In the first lockdown they restricted the numbers entering and some had one way systems. Not anymore, now it is a complete free for all. I went to Tesco's the other and day it was chock a block.
    I read once that there had been no case found of anyone catching Covid outdoors - but what have the facts got to do with anything?

And I shop pretty well every day in the Tesco in Ikley and I have only once seen one person without a mask in 10 months. It was so unusual I did a double-take.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".